Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do I cancel? 168 (Feb) then 165 (Apr).

GNA451--GNA451-- Core Member
edited May 4 in General 78 karma

Hi everyone, curious to get your thoughts on my LSAT keep vs. cancel debate -

I got a 168 in Feb, which was my target score, but prior to receiving the score, was convinced that I didn't do that well so kept studying fervently and as a result, decided to try for higher even when I did get my score. Unfortunately, I was tripped up by logic games and ended up with a 165 on the April test.

I don't believe I need to retake the test to have a decent chance at my target schools (3.93 undergrad + some unique / strong "softs"), but I am on the fence about trying again anyway, so that is a potential factor.

A couple of thoughts I have that are making me (counterintuitively) trending toward keep -
- If I don't retake the test, the adcom definitely sees the cancellation as worse than the 168, but they could assume a wide range of "worse" - in that sense, keeping the 165 confirms it wasn't an egregious underperformance.
- If I cancel, retaking the test again would be extra high stress because if something did come up prior (sick, etc.) or I just happen to underperform, a second cancellation would undoubtedly make one wonder whether the 168 was a fluke.

One counterpoint for canceling if I don't retake - how much does the adcom really care about a single cancellation? Would they probably really just see the 168? Vs. perhaps seeing the 165 might "cement" that I'm more of a mid-upper 160s tester.

So, would greatly appreciate your thoughts on whether to keep or cancel in both scenarios. Thanks in advance.

TLDR: Please see survey below :)

Keeping vs. Canceling
  1. Assuming I will NOT retake the test, should I keep or cancel a 165 (preceded by a 168)?78 votes
    1. Keep
      67.95%
    2. Cancel
      32.05%
  2. Assuming I WILL retake the test, should I keep or cancel a 165 (preceded by a 168)?78 votes
    1. Keep
      70.51%
    2. Cancel
      29.49%

Comments

• partyrockinpartyrockin Live Member
    74 karma

165 is not that much lower than 168 and it's also not a bad score in and of itself.
    Keep it. They might think your cancel was much lower, like in the 140s.

• shinramyunshinramyun Alum Member
    23 karma

low key it doesn't really matter whether you cancel or not in my opinion. They only really care about the highest anyways. Cancelling is just another way for LSAC to make money lmfao

• hendrickshendricks Live Member
    401 karma

I think it depends on where you want to apply. There not much of a difference between the two if you are below the median - or above the median. If you write well, and highlight your life experience in an interesting way, a 168 will get you some great opportunities. Good luck!

• tkkimmichtkkimmich Live Member
    15 karma

Don't cancel. I've heard when you cancel law schools just automatically think you had a horrific score.

• Tony FredregillTony Fredregill Live Member
    4 karma

I would love to have this type of score. Keep your score of a 168.

• GNA451--GNA451-- Core Member
    78 karma

Thanks so much for the great feedback and input everyone - I went ahead and kept the score. Really appreciate the perspective and votes.