Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help for Law Passages

Annoyingly (worryingly???) I have the most trouble on the law passages in RC. I'm not great with the law vocab and pretty terrible with the history of law. Especially those ones with things like the history the medieval British legal system. I'm like...what? I heard a great recommendation for law podcasts, but I really need something I can read and carry with me. Digital is fine too! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    i think then you should first answer the question "why law school?" law school case reading is WAY harder than any of the reading comprehension passages. go to the legal information institute at cornell and then start reading material there - or SCOTUS blog helps too if you are absolutely sure you answered "why law school for me?" satisfactorily...
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    @Caroleena lol it's ok, I think a lot of people are in the same boat. With a social sciences/humanities background, I struggle the most with the law and science passages for RC. I don't think the fact that you're struggling with the law passages should worry you; it just means you haven't been exposed to this kind of stuff before and you need to train yourself how to read for structure and reasoning. I don't have specific advice on how to improve on the law passages besides reading law blogs and academic legal articles. Personally, however, I think it's more useful to just really drill a lot of law RC passages and take PTs and sections. I think the best way to improve on the LSAT is to practice taking the LSAT and review very very thoroughly.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Good advice from @mes08 here! I would also drill the law based passages. I think you'll find that these passages aren't as hard once you have some level of familiarity with them. A great way to do that is to read the law passages! If you're still looking for more, try some SCOTUS decisions, or check out some history of law books from your local library.

Good luck!
  • CaroleenaCaroleena Member
    13 karma
    Thanks so much for those with great practical advice! To clarify, I'm actually pretty awesome at RC. I have a background in humanities and have been reading science articles for years so on those things I can definitely, definitely tell that going in with outside knowledge is helpful, no matter what some people say :). I was just looking for some advice on what to read to familiarize myself with the style and vocab of law articles.

SCOTUS is great and so are law blogs. Don't know why I hadn't thought of these before. Thanks again!

If anyone has other ideas, keep 'em coming!