Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graduated yesterday. 154 diagnostic headed to big law. Thanks 7sage.

canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
edited May 20 in General 8454 karma

I was a community college to state school grad that pieced together a bachelors degree from random credits and studied for the LSAT while working and supporting a family. I started with a 154 and took the LSAT seven times. My application was a C&F nightmare and reading the first personal statement I applied with makes me cringe so hard I get a headache.

This community, including @"J.Y. Ping", @"David Busis", @"Cant Get Right", @Mike_Ross and way too many other people to mention, helped me unfuck my approach to this test and admissions. @"Nora Miller" basically got me into law school and set me on a path to become the somewhat serviceable writer I am today. Three years later, I've won multiple national bar association essay competitions, published with HLS, and worked as a law review editor. I've taught written advocacy for our LLM program and at our local prisons, and worked death penalty cases that I'll (hopefully) be taking with me as part of my pro bono practice. I've CALI'ed four classes and "passed" the UBE with an approximate 98th percentile score. Doing a second non-UBE bar exam before heading off to a big law litigation job.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too pretentious. The points I'm trying to make are (1) that if I can do it, anyone can do it... including you, and (2) I wouldn't have achieved any of that without 7sage and the great people here—the people I learned from, the people who allowed me to tutor them (a great way to improve your own understanding of the test), and the people who were willing to candidly tell me all the ways my application sucked or how dumb my essay about surfing in Boston was.

Do hit me with any questions, but like most people who pass through 7sage, my time here is probably done after this. Besides, I think I have to retire the username now that I haz JD. Make use of this great community, help each other out, and don't give up.

It's been real. Thanks 7sage.

Comments

• luffyyyyluffyyyy Live Member
    692 karma

you're an inspiration, congratulations!!!

• spittingnickelsspittingnickels Live Member
    142 karma

This is awesome. I've seen you around here a lot but I didn't know your story. Very inspiring. I'm almost 28 and I feel like I'm getting too old to still be studying for the lsat but I've made so much progress since I started studying a couple years ago, and giving up is not an option. I also went to a state school haha

• missjurisdocmissjurisdoc Live Member
    699 karma

Congrats and thanks for sharing your story; heading on 5th lsat and anticipating it being my last;
    Last night was beginning to feel discouraged at approaching so many lsat times so this is encouraging

Good luck as you progress through your legal career!!

• 1stWorldProblems1stWorldProblems Live Member
    654 karma

goals

• jackgrados69jackgrados69 Live Member
    15 karma

Hey I am very interested in joining and just want an idea on how to even approach this course. Currently I am thinking about going through all the curriculum(I have 8 hours a day to spend on this), taking a diagnostic test, seeing where I am at, going to sign up for either a class or coach version, take drills and get a custom study plan. Is this a good plan, what plan do you suggest? I also want to know how do i know when to take my prep tests, do you guys offer any type of timing or anything so i can know whether or not I am taking an exam to early or too late. Also what is the difference between the coach plan and a private tutor. I mainly just want to have a structured plan (without me having to guess when I have to take a exam etc) while also getting real feedback?

• jiwoonyoon.sgjiwoonyoon.sg Core Member
    108 karma

You're amazing. Thank you for sharing this!

• cjfrancomolinacjfrancomolina Alum Member
    2 karma

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Best of luck on your big law journey!

• JY DiscipleJY Disciple Live Member
    338 karma

Congrats! You're a great story. I wish you nothing but sucess in your next chapter.

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14094 karma

I'm so happy for you!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8454 karma

@jackgrados69 said:
    Hey I am very interested in joining and just want an idea on how to even approach this course. Currently I am thinking about going through all the curriculum(I have 8 hours a day to spend on this), taking a diagnostic test, seeing where I am at, going to sign up for either a class or coach version, take drills and get a custom study plan. Is this a good plan, what plan do you suggest? I also want to know how do i know when to take my prep tests, do you guys offer any type of timing or anything so i can know whether or not I am taking an exam to early or too late. Also what is the difference between the coach plan and a private tutor. I mainly just want to have a structured plan (without me having to guess when I have to take a exam etc) while also getting real feedback?

I'll defer to someone more familiar with the current version of the site. But generally, a class is going to give you the same review of foundational concepts you'd get in the core curriculum, so doing one right after seems redundant. Once you collect all the conceptual tools required to take the test, I think it becomes more of a performance task... like a sport or playing an instrument, where the question changes from "do you know" to "can you do." That is where individualized instruction can be useful.

IMO, PTs are for when you've done adequate work to expect a performance increase. They're to provide data on the efficacy of your methods much more than they are a means of improving in and of themselves. You'll get different opinions on this but I don't think unpurposed content consumption is the best way to improve.

I'm sure someone else more qualified will be along shortly to give you a better answer.

• Nora MillerNora Miller Member Administrator
    394 karma

Woah, CONGRATS!!!!! Time really flies—I feel like we were JUST brainstorming essay topics last week. Thanks for letting us be part of this chapter, it's been a pleasure. Wishing you the very best of luck with everything that comes next!

8454 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    I'm so happy for you!

Thanks man. Bro... Jackson still talks about you to this day.

edited May 13 8454 karma

@"Nora Miller" said: Woah, CONGRATS!!!!! Time really flies—I feel like we were JUST brainstorming essay topics last week. Thanks for letting us be part of this chapter, it's been a pleasure. Wishing you the very best of luck with everything that comes next!

It does. Thanks Nora... I definitely couldn't have done it without you!

• PenbridgePenbridge Core Member
    55 karma

Wow Congrats! You rock! This is so amazing and inspiring. I appreciate your story and story such as these that are not so straight path, perfect. Helps to know that everyone's path and journey to law is different, unique, and worthy. All of the effort, sweat and motivation paid off. This really inspires me! Best wishes!

• oldcollegetryoldcollegetry Live Member
    10 karma

This is amazing and inspiring! And thank you for sharing and trying to lift us up with you! I have some similar background and was starting to feel a bit discouraged going into the June exam. Thanks for the pick-me-up and best to you and the good work you have and will continue to do!