Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will a "bad" test ruin all chances at a T14?

sternb_m1sternb_m1 Alum Member
in General 8 karma

Hello,

I recently took the April LSAT and scored signfiicantly lower than I did on practice tests. I was averaging 168-173 on a number of PTs, but scored a 158 on the real thing!! I didn't buy Score Preview so am stuck with that score.

I've started studying again and have taken two tests - I got a 175 on one and a 171 on the other. My GPA was a 3.80 in college.

In short I'm wondering if my 158 will ruin any chance that I get accepted into a T14. I know they report the top score, but this is a pretty glaring result, does anyone have any insights here?

Comments

• GNA451--GNA451-- Core Member
    edited May 28 74 karma

Just my two cents as a future applicant (w/ no real expertise in this specific topic, but wanting to try to help how I can) -

1) I don't think it ruins your chances assuming you do get a much higher second (and potentially third) test as your PTs indicate you should (I assume your 175 and 171 were PTs, right?).

2) This seems like the rare "addendum" scenario if you are able to score as high as your PTs have been and you can perhaps provide color as to why the 158. Some schools do ask for addendums if you have a significant discrepancy anyway and if you do score 170+, this would certainly qualify.

3) One last thought if you're truly consistently about 170+ and willing to do it, perhaps the "safest" route if you're truly worried would be to consider taking a third time to cement that the first test was clearly a fluke. I personally think this is overkill though as long as you have a reasonable explanation for the first test.