Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need some motivation or maybe, validation

LogicLlamaLogicLlama Alum Member
edited May 17 in General 48 karma

Hi everyone, I feel like I'm at an intersection in my LSAT studying journey and I need some advice!

So before we start here are some facts:
1- I only started studying for the LAST in the last 3 months.
2- English is my second language.
3- My undergrad was very technical & quantitative.

So early February I took a diagnostic test and scored 143. I tried to follow Khan Academy's curriculum, but it didn't feel structured enough for me, so I switched to 7Sage about two months ago. On average I'm putting around 8 hours a week into LSAT studying, and I'm planning to write the LSAT in August. My goal (although might be ambitious) is to score at least 170.

Two weeks into 7Sage and after I finished the foundation module, I took another PT and scored 149 & BR 151. Two weeks later, I was about 30% through the LR module, I took another PT and scored 156 and BR 158. This last weekend, I am a little over 60% through the LR module, I scored 153 and BR 162.

In RC, I'm facing the same issue like everyone else, TIME! I consistently find myself with only 1 min left for passage #4. However, for the three passages that I actually have enough time to read through. I'm scoring fairly well (I think). For example, my last PT I got 16 questions right and only 3 wrong, that's for the first three passages in the first RC section, and these are fairly consistent with the results of the other RC sections.

In LR, I find myself running out of time but because I know I have a terrible time management strategy of skipping harder questions so I end up spending 3+ mins on one question, and then not have time for the last 5 question in that section that I think I would have gotten, at least some of them right. Additionally, I found myself getting stagnant in my LR progress in the last few weeks.

My questions are:
1- Would it be wise to stop studying for LR for a bit and focus on RC? My reasoning is that I think there's a big room for improving my RC skills (considering I've never studied for it), and even a marginal improvement would boost my score a few points. Also, I'm hoping that a break from LR might help me get a fresh perspective when I return to it after two weeks.

2- Considering my tight timeline to write the LSAT, I was thinking of getting private tutoring in about a month from now to hopefully help me boost my score, do you think that's worth it? From the people who did get private tutors how was your experience?

3- Are my numbers good considering all the facts mentioned above? Is 170 an attainable goal for me? I know I need to improve my studying strategy and I need to put in more hours drilling and not just going through the curriculum. The question is, by how much do I need to increase the number of weekly studying hours in order to get to 170 by August!

If you made it this far, thank you and I hope my writing was comprehendible!