Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I cooked?

Devbot LSATDevbot LSAT Core Member

RC can kick rocks. I have been studying my ass off to get better at RC and have watched my scores get significantly WORSE! WTF, this shit makes no sense. I am consistent -3 to -5 on LR and consistent -0 to -3 LG, but my RC is anywhere from -4 to -12. And the worst part is that I don't even know what to do. I have tried reading like it is super exciting, slowing down to just comprehend, focusing on language strength, identifying main points, I've hired multiple tutors, and done the RC hero method. Bro, why does none of that shit work? What do I even do? Am I cooked?

Comments

• Matthew M-17Matthew M-17 Alum Member
    30 karma

Honestly only clicked on your post cause I thought your title was funny. But if those numbers you are saying are correct, your looking at a 170 on the high end and a 160 at the very worst. If you call being at the 80th - 95th percentile being "cooked", you're crazy.

• Devbot LSATDevbot LSAT Core Member
    35 karma

You're totally right, I am 100% being dramatic. I guess I meant it more with the RC specific stuff, mainly just looking for tips there because the split is wild haha.

• sgoldsmith7sgoldsmith7 Live Member
    edited May 24 728 karma

felt this in my soul. 2-4 lr, 0-3 lg and 3-8 rc. just got -8 on rc pt 71 last night :/

• kmouse15kmouse15 Live Member
    3 karma

i don't have personal experience with this, but i've seen a few posts by people who achieved much higher scores after taking a short break . . . maybe stepping away from RC for a few days / a week and then coming back to it will help? again, not speaking from experience, but have been thinking of trying this out to see if it has any positive effect on my score. congrats on doing so great in the other 2 sections! and good luck on test day :)

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    166 karma

Do you do any reading outside of your studying? I found that extra reading helped me a lot. I subscribed to the Economist (because that's the thing you do I guess, but you could realistically just read any old rag) and every morning with breakfast I read the articles for their structure.
    I am sure you've been told this by your multiple tutors, but what is really important for RC is seeing the structure of the passage. Where does the author state other people's opinions vs state their own? When are they merely explaining something vs when are they supporting something they already said? What is the authors general attitude towards whatever they are reading about?
    Also, back to extra reading for a second, I started reading for fun before bed, it helps with sleep hygiene and stuff, but also it really helped my reading speed and stamina, and now I can usually expect anywhere from -2 to -4 on an RC.
    Remember that RC is notoriously the section that is most difficult to improve on. Give RC its due diligence but maybe you gotta focus on clamping down on the other two, ensuring that -0 on LG and getting down to -2 on LR, so you can have that wiggle room with RC.
    You're definitely not cooked my brother, keep calm and stay strong. If you're testing in June like I am I'll see you on the other side.