PT104.S1.Q12 - Can someone explain to me

ChanduellChanduell Core Member
edited June 27 in Logical Reasoning 18 karma

Hello everyone.

Can someone explain to me why the answer that is most strongly supported is E?
I even watched the video and it totally seems like an assumption. In no way does the prompt lead one to believe that artificial fibers are straight in their original state, even if shirts made with artificial fibers do not shrink under hot water.
So I do not see how one could infer that since the process of straightening or shrinking does not happen to polyester, that it was naturally straight. It could be the case that Polyester isn't naturally straight, but that it also does not shrink under hot water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• nuriozer46nuriozer46 Core Member
    edited June 27 3 karma

I'm not a tutor or an expert but here's how I worked through it. The passage notes a couple things that are crucial in justifying E.

1. "Clothes made of natural fibers such as cotton, unlike clothes made from artificial fibers like polyester, often shrink when washed at high temperatures."

2. "Since the manufacture of clothes requires straight fibers..."

3. "High temperatures cause all fibers in cloth to return to their original states"

From these we know three things.
    1. Natural fibers shrink in hot water but artificial fibers don't.
    2. High temperatures cause all fibers to return to their original states, artificial or natural.
    3. Making clothes requires straight fibers.

If we take all of these to be true, it would be unlikely for the artificial fibers to not be straight. If they weren't straight originally, they would have to be changed somewhat in order to manufacture the clothes, since the production of clothing requires straight fibers. But if they were changed somewhat, the high temperatures would have reverted them to their original form, which would shrink the clothes. But we know from the first sentence that clothing made from artificial material don't shrink when washed in hot water.

That's why I thought E was the most reasonable answer.