Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would the the October test be "too late" if applying this fall?

Luke OttoLuke Otto Live Member
edited June 28 in Law School Admissions 15 karma

I haven't been scoring the best on my real LSATs but my PTs have been in the upper 150s (old format). My target score is a 155 on the LSAT, and I want to apply this fall for the 2025 cycle.

I haven't been able to break into the 150s on the real LSAT yet but that's another discussion. My hope being to apply this fall and achieve a score of 155+, is taking the test in October as opposed to September more of a gamble?

I feel that more time to study could be beneficial but does that outweigh the impacts of applying slightly later in the cycle as opposed to applying at the start? Taking October also leaves less time to test again if my score isn't ideal.

Opinion Poll
  1. Which administration is the smarter choice?45 votes
    1. September LSAT
      42.22%
    2. October LSAT
      57.78%

Comments

• anijahbondanijahbond Live Member
    14 karma

I'm planning on taking the exam in October and again in November. I talked to my pre law advisor, and he told me that by taking the exam in November, I will still be able to apply for early admissions if I decide to send in my score. With this stated I think taking the exam in October as you mentioned will give you plenty of time to improve your score, improve your actual LSAT score, and submit applications before Thanksgiving, which is pretty early. Good luck on your exam, and most importantly, take the exam when you feel truly ready <3

• emmaelizabethallenemmaelizabethallen Core Member
    edited June 29 3 karma

Early decision ends on Dec. 1st for some schools, it depends on which. Early decision is best if you are 100% committed to a school and are willing to possibly get a smaller scholarship in exchange for being one of the first to apply. You can get your score right at the end of November and it'll go through if you apply on Nov. 31st. I applied for regular decision early Jan 2023 (decided to R&R) and my November score went through. People tend to apply in January, so you'll be fine if you take the test in October and/or November!

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    166 karma

I think the conventional reasoning is that while it is ideal to apply in September, or failing that, November, it is only really until December that you see any noticeable decrease in your chances, then January is not ideal but it is still very realistic.

If the choice is between applying in October (after Sept test) vs November (after Oct test), in my opinion your best chance at moving the needle would be to take the extra time to study. Just make sure that while you wait for your score to release you get all your app materials in place so as soon as you know your score you're ready to pull the trigger.