Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get rid of burnt out and headache when taking a full pt?

aliceyuanlzyaliceyuanlzy Core Member
in General 18 karma

I have a issue that when I take my pt, I can only do three sections untimed. I have serious headache and feel vert burnt-out when taking pt. Is there anything I can do to increase my stamina in lsat? Please help me, I really have a bad issue with that.

Comments

• kwyoung707kwyoung707 Alum Member
    73 karma

For me, I space out the timed tests that I do because I also experience this. But doing more timed tests is the only way to build stamina. Also, eating during the allotted 10 minute break helps too. I usually can't because I'm so anxious but the few times I have have helped greatly. Past that, the only other thing I can think of is getting so good at the questions that you don't even have to think about them.

• darman45darman45 Live Member
    139 karma

^^ I agree with kwyoung707, specifically about the 10 minute break. When I first started taking PTs, I didn't use the 10 minute break at all, I would just try to get through all 4 sections with no break. After a few PTs, I realized that taking the tests that way was simply unhelpful - beyond my ego feeling better when I took no break, I was hurting myself by (1) not simulating the actual setup of the test and (2) not just letting myself breathe a little bit. Once I started taking the break, I realized how important managing my anxiety + mindset was, and how taking the break was not a sign of weakness. Anyway, I hope this helps and ultimately, the more practice you do, the less crazy it will feel. Before taking a PT, I also sometimes write down my fears/feelings about it, just a few sentences or a paragraph explaining what I'm worried about. Then I put it away and start the test. I read about a study that had students do this before taking a standardized test, and it seemed to help increase their performance, so it might be worth a try.

• aliceyuanlzyaliceyuanlzy Core Member
    18 karma

@kwyoung707 said:
    For me, I space out the timed tests that I do because I also experience this. But doing more timed tests is the only way to build stamina. Also, eating during the allotted 10 minute break helps too. I usually can't because I'm so anxious but the few times I have have helped greatly. Past that, the only other thing I can think of is getting so good at the questions that you don't even have to think about them.

Thank you so much!
    By the way, is that okay for me to ask you how you usually space out the timed test like you only do one or two section of pt per day?

• aliceyuanlzyaliceyuanlzy Core Member
    18 karma

@darman45 said:
    ^^ I agree with kwyoung707, specifically about the 10 minute break. When I first started taking PTs, I didn't use the 10 minute break at all, I would just try to get through all 4 sections with no break. After a few PTs, I realized that taking the tests that way was simply unhelpful - beyond my ego feeling better when I took no break, I was hurting myself by (1) not simulating the actual setup of the test and (2) not just letting myself breathe a little bit. Once I started taking the break, I realized how important managing my anxiety + mindset was, and how taking the break was not a sign of weakness. Anyway, I hope this helps and ultimately, the more practice you do, the less crazy it will feel. Before taking a PT, I also sometimes write down my fears/feelings about it, just a few sentences or a paragraph explaining what I'm worried about. Then I put it away and start the test. I read about a study that had students do this before taking a standardized test, and it seemed to help increase their performance, so it might be worth a try.

Thank you!

• saraolssonsaraolsson Live Member
    15 karma

Also sipping something that has a low amount of sugar (I do fruit juice cut with a lot of water) has helped me maintain blood glucose that, when low, contributes to focus issues/headaches/etc.

Kinda silly but those little gel packets that runners use during marathons that are just sugar/vitamins/electrolytes are good during the 10 minute break and won't bog you down.

• kwyoung707kwyoung707 Alum Member
    73 karma

Replying to your question, I totally worded that wrong. What I should've said was that I space out the timed tests that I do like I only do 1 timed test per week instead of the 2 or 3 that I previously did. I've also recently started doing some untimed tests on the older exams (PT's 1-20) instead of drills.