Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negating "Most" when there is a binary cut?

jchanggoawayjchanggoaway Alum Member

Consider this original statement: "Most people are white." Its negation is: "It's not the case that most people are white." i.e. 0-50% people are white. Isn't this the equivalent of "Most people are not white"?

In contrast, given: "Most people are not white" Its negation is "It's not the case that most people are not white." i.e. 0-50% are not white. In this case, I know the negation is not equivalent to "Most people are white". It's not a binary cut here. Compared to the first statement, what changed? I'm not sure how to think about this.

Comments

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    321 karma

I'm not really sure how to think about this either - it's certainly sending my mind through a loop - but thankfully, I've never seen a Most/Some question reach this level of difficulty on the LSAT.

• beyondpossumbeyondpossum Live Member
    89 karma

"0-50% are not white", i.e. "a minority are not white" seems to me to be logically equipollent to "most people are white". I'm missing any paradox that may be here.

edited August 4 89 karma

Oh wait, I see, the 50 thing.

• jchanggoawayjchanggoaway Alum Member
    edited August 5 43 karma

got it!

edited August 5 89 karma

I should correct myself, "0-50% are not white" cannot be translated to "a minority are not white"; rather, it would be translated to a "a minority or exactly half are not white", which would be equivalent to "half or more are white". It's minding the 50/50 scenarios that that's so befuddling here and making the negations complicated.

To make matters worse, here's 'nother thing that might be going on. Philosophers at least since Bertrand Russell have noticed that sentences claiming that sentences denying an entity a property can be ambiguous between claiming no such entity with a property exists or that the entity exists but has no such property. It's summed up on the first page here:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/2252540

So "The King of France is not bald" is ambiguous in meaning between "there is no entity that is the king of France and bald" and "The entity that is the king of France is not bald."

So maybe your cognitive procces interpreting those sentences is vaccilating back and forth between trying to apply these two different sorts of interpretations (which Russell called "primary" and "secondary") which results in the weird uneasy feeling some of us might be getting when we're staring at these "most people are not white" sentences in trying to negate them back and forth.

• 122 karma

If this helps, "most" refers to anything over 50%. It can be 51% and higher.