Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). No improvement in Timed, Massive in Blind - 7Sage Forum

No improvement in Timed, Massive in Blind

bkontokbbkontokb Live Member
in General 46 karma

Wondering if anyone has had this experience: I started studying for this test seriously around mid-June, and plan on taking it in September. My diagnostic score was 164 (after light question practice, untimed; I was working a lot, wish I could have done more), and since then I have taken a few more, whenever I'm feeling it. Tbh, I'm taking longer breaks than I should be (stopping this now as I get closer to test), but my score itself has not improved at all: 164, 165, 164, and, most recently, 163. I'm reviewing questions, seeing why I got things wrong, and right...but alas. However...my blind review scores have gone like this: 169, 169, 178 (!), 173. So, in other words, I have consistent improvement on blind, and none on timed.

I guess my question is: How on earth can I improve my timed performance? It's one thing to know I "have the answers in me" when I have enough time...but I'm struggling on the actual thing. Moreover, not infrequently have I changed correct answers to incorrect answers on blind review, which seems to be a problem.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a month until I take this thing, and I'd really like to make 172+. I know it's possible, but...yeah, how do I fix this? HOW DO I LOCK IN???

Comments

• ntrepanier5ntrepanier5 Alum Member
    322 karma

If you're scoring in the 170s on BR, you clearly know the material. But being able to recall it in a minute and twenty seconds is another thing. Getting mid 160s / 170s BR is super impressive, especially considering you've only been studying for less than two months. I'd just chalk this up to time. Getting that absolute MASTERY is only going to come with time - more drills, more PTs, etc.

• nicoleegattonicoleegatto Live Member
    47 karma

Ok @ntrepanier5 that is sooo reassuring to read... i hope ur right. im having this same issue n its v frustrating especially because recently ive been grinding like all day...

• stiv.mucollaristiv.mucollari Live Member
    70 karma

Similar experience. These are my scores from my last two PTs. 154 timed, 168 blind and 161 timed, 168 blind. Trending in right direction, but it is clearly an anxiety thing and a focusing issue. It can take a minute or two for me to get in the swing of it, and I am making common mistakes that I never would during a blind review (like missing a 2 or 3 star question). Time winding down, frustrations over spending three minutes on a question, etc., has not helped. The jump from 154 to 161 though, what I did was use a more aggressive skipping strategy. I jumped around and found the ones I knew, building my confidence. Hope to do that strategy again and see if I can hit a 163 on my next PT with a target of 170 for my blind.

• bkontokbbkontokb Live Member
    46 karma

@"stiv.mucollari" That skipping around strategy sounds wise. I'm going to do that for my PT tomorrow! Also, I hear you on missing 2 star questions; I feel like my misses are either the easiest Qs or the absolute slammers!

• LogicLlamaLogicLlama Core Member
    48 karma

Honestly, just reading this gave me a lot of comfort. I'm in a similar boat, the last 4 PTs I scored 157-160 and BR 164-167.
    @"stiv.mucollari" How are you skipping more effectively? That's one thing I know I'm lacking, even the questions I skip, I only do so after spending like 30 seconds.

• stiv.mucollaristiv.mucollari Live Member
    70 karma

@LogicLlama Full transparency, I am not perfect at it, but I would say spending thirty seconds to read the stimulus, taking a look at the question stem, and glancing at the answer choices and then deciding to skip is not a bad approach. I have been setting a goal for myself not to spend more then 1:10 on a question (give or take). When I have hit that time, and I still do not know, I select the answer I am leaning towards, mark it, and move on. So one way could be setting a maximum time limit you will spend on a question. Another could be identifying (via your analytical page) which questions you struggle with the most. If for example you struggled with flaw questions, it could be worth immediately skipping those and trying to get to the questions that you might do better at (such as strengthening for example). Other, more experienced LSAT individuals might disagree with my approaches, but as someone who struggles with text anxiety, I am throwing what I can at the wall and seeing if anything will work.