Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to go from -5 to -2 in RC - 7Sage Forum

How to go from -5 to -2 in RC

hey guys. I'm currently scoring in the mid to high 60s and each section is around a -5 or lower. I really want to get a 170+ so I am aiming to do a little better on my sections. I have heard from multiple people that this is the hardest improvement to make. Can anyone give me some strategies that worked for them to make the 70s jump. Specifically, my RC sections are consistently lower than LR. I really think that's my point of weakness. What would be a good plan of action for the September test? Should I do 1 minute/Q sections? Full sections?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• oliveppsolivepps Live Member
    49 karma

I am down to -2 RC with a 17low on my most recent PT, making RC my best section. I have two categories of advice. First, get RC Hero. It's really made my thinking about RC and its strategies much more intentional. It mechanizes everything. However, if RCH is still financially out of reach even after the discount for fee waivered folks, I have the following advice.

Track for authorial intent. Many if not most of the questions are about what the authors are saying, in some form. What's the author's main point? What's the author's tone in a word? What would author A or author B say, possibly in relation to each other? What is the author intending with x? This can be done by finding words or phrases that betray what the author really thinks; this can be sarcasm or sass, complete agreement, skepticism, etc. Look for words or phrases that convey emotion or judgement in some way.

Read for structure. I like to highlight the most important sentences/conclusions in yellow, important premises/evidence in pink, and key words/phrases in orange. Even just in performing this process, you're forced to think about sentences in relationship to each other, and paragraphs likewise. Understanding the structure of the passage is key to many of the questions.

Just my two cents!