Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 2-year planning for non-traditional law admissions - 7Sage Forum

2-year planning for non-traditional law admissions

densesemicolondensesemicolon Free Trial Member

Hello all! I've heard great things about this forum in my non-trad law school journey. I am 28 and wrapping up a PhD in Romance languages. My aim is to finish my degree in Spring 2026 and matriculate into a law program by that fall. I have thought about law over the years, but developed an interest in teaching & humanities research. But it's my research and experiences that have led me back to the legal world, especially anywhere that international, immigration and/or labor & employment law might intersect.

1. I had a meeting with a career services advisor (not pre-law) who was seriously concerned about my appearing to be a perpetual student when applying. She said I absolutely MUST get some kind of internship experience in immigration or international law before I apply in 2025 if I want to stand a chance for admission.
    I have not fully "locked in" so to speak in securing that kind of position, but have a few contacts and programs in mind. I'm also considering how I can balance this with getting my research funded so I can wrap up my dissertation in time. My question is: how much am I jeopardizing my admissions prospects WITHOUT that specific internship experience, ex. if I got funded to research abroad? And will I truly be an irredeemable egghead in the case that I'm not able to land an internship?

2. Is the career switch (from academia to law) addendum-worthy, or is it something that can be adequately covered in the scope of a personal statement?

3. I'm fortunate enough to have several close faculty contacts from my undergrad institution. That said, I got my BA in 2018. Should I just focus on current faculty (like my dissertation committee) for LORs?

Thank you all!

Comments

• 124 karma

I have not heard about a requirement to have internships or experience in law in order to get into law school. Have you spoke to a law advisor at your school instead of career services?? Someone who would especially know more about law school admissions. Experience is nice to have but certainly not required and you can still get into any law school without prior law experience. I am 39 just starting to apply to schools. None of them have anything stated about this as a requirement.
    Also I would like to add that with a PhD, you are a high candidate (and possible scholarships) for law schools. They will highly favor your degree even if it's not in law. They will see how serious you are about your degrees.

• densesemicolondensesemicolon Free Trial Member
    7 karma

I wasn't able to get a hold of the pre-law advisor, and the system only lets you book with them if you're an undergraduate. So my next move is to try to re-establish contact with them. I'd definitely felt some skepticism about that first bit of advice after reading more about non-traditional admissions.

• hdawleyhdawley Live Member
    8 karma

That is terrible you can only book an appointment with your advisor as an undergraduate. Try reaching out to your school's alumni department to see if they can help get you an advising appointment.