Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whole Test Stamina

thenoah16624thenoah16624 Core Member
in General 16 karma

Hey everyone,

I am taking the LSAT in September. I have been studying for about two and a half months by now. Since the beginning of August my studies have been more "serious." I have been doing two practice tests & review a week, and timed sections (usually on "target time," which is typically around 30-32 minutes for the recent PT's) from other practice tests on the days in between. My PT scores during this time range from 162-169 (the mean is around 166), my BR scores range from 170-177 (probably average is around 174), and in my timed sections I typically miss between 0 and 4 for each section on RC and LR.

My concern is that my PT scores tend to be lower than my timed section scores. Occasionally I will do very poorly on a single section in the PT, because I get overwhelmed, tired, confused, or frantic during the test. Sometimes I feel this is due to some general burnout, and sometimes this happens because of a perceived lack of time on my part. For example, on my most recent test I got -2, -4, and -8 on the scored sections, and on that last one I ended up running out of time and more or less guessing during the end. On the Blind Review, which I start within an hour and a half or so following the PT, I am able to see the answers clearly.

I'm aware of the issues, but I'm not sure how to safeguard against them when the real test happens. If anyone has any tips regarding stamina (also regarding burnout), I would love to hear them.

Comments

• angolomio34angolomio34 Core Member
    edited August 25 79 karma

During your break, refuel with caffeine, nuts, whatever keeps you going. Happened to me till I did that.

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    198 karma

I think in your case it would be helpful to keep in mind the fact that you mentioned at the start of your post, which is that you are only 2.5 months into your studying, that is still very early. As long as you keep to a consistent and rigorous study schedule, the stamina will come in time. If you want to try and accelerate the process, consider working on your speed, it goes hand in hand with stamina, if you finish sections faster and easier you will have more bandwidth and mental capacity for later. I wouldn't stress it though, give yourself some slack and keep at it.

In regards to burnout, I would recommend giving yourself ample breaks if you can. Remember that studying isn't just about raw time spent, it's about the quality of that time. A 4 hour study session that is broken up by 3 breaks where you are focused is far superior to a grueling 8 hour session where you might have gotten more than twice the amount of content "done," but you were absolutely drained by hour 4.

• thenoah16624thenoah16624 Core Member
    16 karma

@angolomio34 said:
    During your break, refuel with caffeine, nuts, whatever keeps you going. Happened to me till I did that.

So, I enjoy the caffeine — but I'm trying not to drink it during the PT's, because, honestly, it makes me pee, and you can't really afford bathroom breaks on the tests.

• thenoah16624thenoah16624 Core Member
    16 karma

@"nicholas.leon96" said:
    I think in your case it would be helpful to keep in mind the fact that you mentioned at the start of your post, which is that you are only 2.5 months into your studying, that is still very early. As long as you keep to a consistent and rigorous study schedule, the stamina will come in time. If you want to try and accelerate the process, consider working on your speed, it goes hand in hand with stamina, if you finish sections faster and easier you will have more bandwidth and mental capacity for later. I wouldn't stress it though, give yourself some slack and keep at it.

In regards to burnout, I would recommend giving yourself ample breaks if you can. Remember that studying isn't just about raw time spent, it's about the quality of that time. A 4 hour study session that is broken up by 3 breaks where you are focused is far superior to a grueling 8 hour session where you might have gotten more than twice the amount of content "done," but you were absolutely drained by hour 4.

Great advice, thank you. I try to tell myself similar things concerning burnout, but it's hard to step away when the test is just around the corner. And as for total study volume, I'm coming to terms with the fact that three months isn't really enough time to get the score I need on this test. I'm half-planning to retake it, depending on the score I receive in September.

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    edited August 25 198 karma

@thenoah16624 said:
    Great advice, thank you. I try to tell myself similar things concerning burnout, but it's hard to step away when the test is just around the corner. And as for total study volume, I'm coming to terms with the fact that three months isn't really enough time to get the score I need on this test. I'm half-planning to retake it, depending on the score I receive in September.

Yeah I think that's a great way to look at it. By all means, full steam ahead, give it your all in September, but it is very very normal to take longer than 3 months (honestly we need to kill that rumor that 3-4 months is enough time to study for most people), and most people take the test multiple times. Everyone has their own life circumstances that may demand they have a certain score by a certain date, but to be honest, there is absolutely nothing wrong with even taking a whole other year. You get way more time with less stress and you only strengthen your application by accumulating more work experience (provided you aren't full time studying for the entire time).

Good luck!