Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp- Strugglin'

Hi friends! I need some advice on how to improve my RC section. While I feel confident in LR, I am scoring much lower on RC, missing about 10 or 12 questions per RC section. I am scoring about 158/159 overall, and all I want is to score a 160.

My issue with RC is when I try to do low-res summaries, I run out of time. But when I try to read quicker, I forget passage details. When it comes to questions I missed, I always review and understand why I missed the question, but still end up missing similar questions on my next PT. Another issue is that I have a hard time getting through all four passages.

I feel stuck and not sure where to go from here. Even some kind words would be appreciated! Oh, and by the way, I am registered for the October LSAT. Am I doomed?

Comments

• gmoney99gmoney99 Live Member
    10 karma

Hi Raquel - also on for the October LSAT and also strugglin' with timing on the RC! I don't think I have much great advice other than that I've been doing at least a few passages every day. If you haven't done it the reading comp section with Kevin isn't super long and is a great resource for learning the structure of the passages and questions - things like being able to anticipate common main point answer choices depending on the style of the passage are pretty helpful in the mental game for me!

We are both gonna make it!

• mas441mas441 Live Member
    edited September 19 20 karma

Hi Raquel! There's no one-size fits all approach to test taking. Practice helps, of course, but you might also consider tinkering with your current angle. Have you considered trying a different strategy?

The first thing that comes to mind is ditching the low-res summary approach. I know that is counter to the 7Sage advice, but I find it takes too much time and doesn't help me. I find it more useful to practice concentrating hard, really focusing on trying to figure out what the author is saying, with a sort of animated curiosity, almost like I am so excited to be reading the text to learn about the subject that the author is presenting to me and finding out what they, and others that they report about, have to say about this new and fascinating topic.

Reading this way, I move through the text, eager to find out how each paragraph builds on the information and ideas presented in the first paragraph and successive paragraphs, and asking myself what the author thinks and how this contrasts with the view point of other perspectives presented in the text.

Once I've read through the text once, I turn to the questions, feeling primed and almost excited to answer them.

Maybe try this method out once--animated curiosity--and see if it helps.

• fsantos60321fsantos60321 Core Member
    14 karma

Work your way up drilling level of difficulties. I started level 2 untimed, did it until i felt comfortable in getting all right. then to level 3.. now im at level 4 and even started adding time limits, usually do 2 passages at a time - i find that drilling one at a time is TOO lenient for testing conditions. actively reading changes everything, especially in 4/5 star passages is when they make u pay attention to smaller details. Practice practice practiceeee!!