Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good score on easier test. Is difficulty accounted for?

dl_act_36dl_act_36 Core Member
edited September 24 in General 5 karma

Hi everyone,

I took PT 123 last night and noticed that all the passages were in the 1-2 difficulty range. I received a good score on the test, but now I am wondering if it is a little inflated? This would be a 5 point improvement since my last PT 3 weeks ago, so I also think I could have just got better.

Is this not a concern because of how the conversion works?

TIA!

Comments

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Alum Member
    199 karma

Yes don't worry, that is the purpose of the curve. LSAC is very careful about this, they want their test to mean something and for the law schools to keep using it, so they will control for relative difficulty.

The way they do this is through the experimental section. When you take your real LSAC-administered LSAT and you complete the experimental section, you are setting the curve for a future exam. They take the scores of everyone who did that section and place them on a curve, so it doesn't matter how relatively difficult any section is, there will always be a percentile-ranking on the exam.

It's why I can get a -12, and on a different test you can get a -8, but we can still both get a 168.