Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC help!!

rohamnaderirohamnaderi Alum Member
in General 23 karma
Hey guys,

So I've been following the RC memory method that JY talks about, and it's definitely helped me; however, I'm nowhere near where I want to be in my PT's when I grade my RC section. What are some of the alternative methods and ways that I can improve my RC score. Right now, I'm averaging -16 on my RC section *sighhh*. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    A few things I do:

1.) In the comments section of the video where JY reads the passage, type out your memory method. Explicitly doing this and forcing yourself to do this really tests whether or not you understand the passage.

2.) Read outside stuff. Google "top 200 economics blogs." There is a website that lists them all out. Pick like 10-15 from the top 30 (after 30, they start to go way down in quality I think). Also, go to Scientific American's website's blog section. From these sources, pick out 4-6 articles that you think sound interesting and do the memory method on those. Try to even come up with a question that the LSAT would ask about the article. For example, what's the MP? What is the author's tone? What would the critics say? etc.

3.) Someone the other day made a thread that had a really good BR strategy. BR EVERY passage, and when you do the questions, jot down the line number from the passage that supports your answer choice next to your answer choice. This way you know that you are actively searching through the passage and finding the answer.

• rohamnaderirohamnaderi Alum Member
    23 karma
    Thank you I'll definitely get on this right away!!
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    "1.) In the comments section of the video where JY reads the passage, type out your memory method. Explicitly doing this and forcing yourself to do this really tests whether or not you understand the passage."

This is good advice by @"Accounts Playable". I would also add that you should try doing so without looking back to the passage
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    I've never really given the memory method an honest shot. After reading The Trainer I'm down to -4. I'm going to try to throw the memory method in now and see how that goes. @c.janson35 are you reading for structure as well, or just using the memory method? I'm not sure what all the memory method entails right now. I'll have to go over that section again this evening, but I think it's just writing down a short sentence describing each paragraph?
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 2398 karma
    I also read for structure as I don't believe there's any other way to really do RC. I think all methods have it at its core. But I do think it's important, after you're done with each paragraph and the passage, to briefly summarize you just read, how the graphs relate to each other, and the main point as a whole. This should be quick and doesn't need to be written down, but it should be done without using the passage as a crutch. Show yourself you've understood what you've read!