Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BC vs BU

Mike StoneMike Stone Member
in General 111 karma
I've posted a couple desperate discussions, but this one is more lighthearted. I'm mostly just curious (haven't even started applying yet).
My research indicates a brawl between these two schools that goes beyond the athletic/regional rivalry. Some articles say BU is better (as per the rankings), but ATL seems to rank BC higher. Plenty of discussion boards to this point go back and forth with reasons for one or the other.

Wondering if any sagers have an opinion. #34 BC Law or #26 BU Law?? Let it ride.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I've hated BC since I was a child so I would go to schools outside the top 100 over BC.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    Here are the links to the Law School Transparency reports for both schools, maybe these can help you decide

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/bc/2014/

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/bu/2014/
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/bc/bu/

side comparison. These schools are close as you can get for so-called "peer" schools. Rankings don't really matter outside of T14 anyways. I'd go with the one that offers you more money.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    @ddakjiking said:
    Rankings don't really matter outside of T14 anyways.
    Respectfully, I don't think this is the case at all. There are a group of "very strong regionals," which include Vanderbilt, UT Austin, USC, UCLA, GW, Fordham, BU/BC, WUSTL, Emory. These schools do not have placement rates nearly as impressive as the T14, but their Biglaw/Federal Clerkship placements are far superior to other regional schools.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    2116 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    Respectfully, I don't think this is the case at all. There are a group of "very strong regionals," which include Vanderbilt, UT Austin, USC, UCLA, GW, Fordham, BU/BC, WUSTL, Emory. These schools do not have placement rates nearly as impressive as the T14, but their Biglaw/Federal Clerkship placements are far superior to other regional schools.
    What other regional schools are we talking about? I feel like the super regionals that you listed cover most of the country except maybe the Pacific Northwest/some of the Rocky mountain states...In that case ties becomes even more important. Seattle, for example, is a very insular market and it's hard to get a good job without ties.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    It should be noted that several "regional" schools Alex listed often have more clout than schools ranked #6-14 within those regions.
    2116 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    It should be noted that several "regional" schools Alex listed often have more clout than schools ranked #6-14 within those regions.
    I feel like that is when ties becomes very important.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Also placement rates at at least UCLA, Vandy, USC and UT Austin match some of the lower T14
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 3438 karma
    That said back to the original question... BU and BC are peer schools for the Boston area and increasingly for the eastern corridor... so I'd take the school that offers you more money... BC (even though it is ranked "lower" than BU) will give you a slightly better shot at academia... but other than that, take the cash unless you have a specific preference based on a solid metric.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma