Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT51 S3 Q11

babybennybabybenny Free Trial Member
edited September 2015 in Logical Reasoning 156 karma
I still don't understand why D is wrong.
Is it ("a band signed with a major label ~~"part from the stimulus) the phenomenon to support the main conclusion?
What's the difference between D and E?
Can anyone explain why D is wrong and E is an answer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I think the conclusion indicator “Hence” is a dead giveaway that the statement to follow (a band signed with a major label does not need to assume nearly as much risk as it would if it produced its own records independently” has just previously been supported. But the question is whether or not it is the main conclusion or a sub-conclusion. In this case, the statement goes on to support an additional claim that “it is only fair for a major label to take a large portion of the profits from the record sales of any band signed with it.” So we can see it sits right in the middle of the logical line of reasoning… (E) Premises are used to support it, and it is used to support the main conclusion.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    edited September 2015 1749 karma
    The way I think of (D) being incorrect is this: Let’s say someone came up to you on the street and said, “Here is a phenomenon… a band (who signs with a major record label) does not need to assume nearly as much risk as it would if it produced its own records independently.” You might reply, “Please do explain..” And the person goes on to say, “it is only fair for a major label to take a large portion of the profits from the record sales of any band signed with it.” Did they explain the phenomenon?