50.2.11 Cynthia: Corporations amply fund

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
in General 3107 karma
I understand how E is correct, but what makes A incorrect?

Doesn't Cynthia think that if a project seeks to further our theoretical understanding, then it should get government funding? And Luis think that Get government funding only if expected to yield practical applications?

Answer choice A says that pure theoretical research should get funding (which C would agree with), but the research might have unforeseen practical applications (which means that the practical applications are not expected). So, doesn't this meet the sufficient condition for C and fail the necessary condition for L? How would they not disagree on this?

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    (A) says :gov should help fund pure theoretical research "because" *such research might have unforeseen practical applications in fields such as agriculture and medicine*. But Cynthia thinks govs should fund those basic scientific research projects that seek to further our theoretical knowledge of nature, not "because" practical...etc. So Cynthia has no stated opinion as such. Even though Luis clearly says, "Research that is expected to yield practical applications in fields such as agriculture and medicine ought to be funded." We cannot say for certain that Cynthia would disagree with him. Of course (E) teases out opposite opinions from both speakers.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Great explanation for A @nye8870! "Because" is definitely important. I would also argue that we don't know Cynthia's stance on "pure theoretical research" because she only says that the government should fund basic scientific research. I think either is sufficient justification for eliminating A.