Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BR'ing... Scores going dooowwnnn

schyler.coxschyler.cox Alum Member
in General 152 karma
So, my BR scores have progressively gone down, from 170, to 167, to 164. I have been scoring 161, 162, 162 on those three PT's (159-162), respectively. I missed 7, SEVEN, LR BR questions because I changed my original answer, which was correct, to another answer. I think I am overthinking... I am clean copy BRing but I remember my original answer and I don't have confidence in it, because I circled it, so I change it. Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe it's just a mental thing, but it's frustrating to not have your BR score go up after you spend 2 days (4 hours each day) BRing. (I redo the LG section completely and then redo each game 4 times after watching JY's videos, as it's one of my weaknesses).
Any thoughts?

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Are you jotting down reasons why each wrong answer is incorrect during BR? That way you can start to pinpoint weaknesses in your reasoning. Let those answers you get wrong become learning opportunities.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    This happens to me sometimes and it's certainly frustrating, but I just make sure to write the reasons exactly why I chose A over B even though B seemed tempting. If it's wrong, just review and pick apart why B was actually the right answer.
  • schyler.coxschyler.cox Alum Member
    152 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Are you jotting down reasons why each wrong answer is incorrect during BR?
    I actually do write them down! My clean copies are scribbled all over by the end of it. I don't think I am looking at them enough in the context of the " big picture" though, in terms of how I am thinking overall for LR and for those question types. I have always had trouble tying together small observations to see larger patterns. How do you record/write down/make sure you keep track of your weaknesses, and then how do you address them? Would drills be good at this point?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @schyler.cox said:
    I am clean copy BRing but I remember my original answer and I don't have confidence in it, because I circled it, so I change it.
    Take more time between PT'ing and BR'ing. I'd say that should help mitigate the remembering answer choices issue!
    7965 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Are you jotting down reasons why each wrong answer is incorrect during BR?
    And this. For real.
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    ugh yes I am all too familiar with this pattern myself. It's THE WORST.

The only thing I've tried is to take a break and it works (although for me, it was no magic cure - if there is one, I'd really like to know for future reference). Even if I wasn't "burnt out" by definition, it was just good to clear & reset my brain. Sometimes I'd go the whole week without studying and take a retake on the weekend. Sometime, I'd maybe 2 games tops for like 4 days (and not even look at LR) and come back on a Friday to take a test. But it was really important for me to take these tests without hyping myself up, just so I could avoid further mental anguish in case my score wasn't as high as I wanted it to be (which definitely happened). If you were hitting 170 before, it means you were on the right track (at least that's what I told myself....) and you're just tired! Good luck!
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2015 1489 karma
    You may need to alter your perspective a bit. If you're able to convince yourself that 7 of your answers were incorrect while you're BRing, then your understanding of those wasn't rock solid to begin with. It's better to delve into your weaknesses and gaps in your fundamental understanding so that you can rectify the situation. If you kept getting "lucky" those weaknesses may have gone unnoticed and there's no guarantee you'll get "lucky" on test day. That's why BR is so important/frustrating. You're on the right path, just keep going.
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 On point!!
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    Are you using any strategy books? If anything, it may seem like you have to just take a break. step back, reorient yourself and then tackle the questions again.