PT23.S2.Q14 - kim: in northern europe during the 18th century

TheBatmanTheBatman Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 255 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-23-section-2-question-14/

Correct me if I am wrong in my explanation.

*The kind of question this is:* Strengthen

*Paraphrased question:*

Kim:

During eighteenth century, northern Europe had a change of attitude on expression both in adoption of less solemn and elaborate death rites by the pop. at large and in a more optimistic view of the human condition as articulated by philosophers. This change is because of a result of dramatic increase in life expectancy that occurred in northern Europe early in the eighteenth century.

Lee:

Your explanation that “this change is because of a result of dramatic increase in life expectancy that occurred in northern Europe early in the eighteenth century,” could not be correct unless the ppl of the time were aware their life expectancy had increased.

*What I am looking for:* Something to prove strengthen the relationship between “change of attitude on expression both in adoption of less solemn and elaborate death rites” and “this change being because of a result of dramatic increase in life expectancy that occurred in northern Europe early in the eighteenth century.”

*Answer A:* Yes, this strengthens Kim’s arguments because it directly addresses a relationship between “increase in life expectancy in a population,” “rise to economic changes,” and “influence on people’s attitudes.” I circled this one, but reviewed the other ones just incase.

*Answer B:* No, but this is tricky for me because it gave an explanation of why ppl’s attitudes toward life change in response to information about their life expectancy. This answer seems to strengthen Lee’s argument rather than Kim’s because Lee argues “change is because of a result of dramatic increase in life expectancy that occurred in northern Europe early in the eighteenth century,” could not be correct unless the ppl of the time were aware their life expectancy had increased. That is what Answer B is saying.

*Answer C:* No, this has nothing to do with Kim’s argument. Philosophers making conjectures that did not affect the ideas of the population does not strengthen or even do anything to Kim’s conclusion.

*Answer D:* No, but thanks for information. This weakens Lee’s argument, but does not strengthen Kim’s.

*Answer E:* No. We are talking about strengthening Kim’s idea that “change is because of a result of dramatic increase in life expectancy that occurred in northern Europe early in the eighteenth century.” The influence of religious teaching vs demographic phenomena on attitudes of Northern Europeans is broad and does not focus on Kim’s conclusion.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    This question is very specific in what it is asking you to do, and that is to strengthen Kim's argument by offering a specific defense of it against Lee's criticism. In essence, we are looking for an answer that will weaken Lee's criticism, which would therefore strengthen Kim's explanation by removing one potential weakness. Thus, the analysis must start with what Lee is saying.

Lee argues that Kim's explanation cannot be correct because it would require a level of self-awareness of one's life expectancy that is impossible for one to know during their lives. It seems like a pretty strong rebuttal to Kim and he definitely makes a valid point. How can you really be aware that your life expectancy is increasing while you are living your life? Life expectancy seems like a statistic that is best observed in retrospect...unless there's another way in which one's increasing LE is manifested! Maybe it's in the number of relatives that are still living? Or maybe an increase in life expectancy is manifested by a rise in economic conditions that directly influence people's attitudes! This is what A states. There is no necessary super-human self-awareness here, so Kim's explanation is still viable in this respect.

As for B: this is irrelevant because Lee is arguing that if people were not aware/had no information about their life expectancy, then the explanation is unlikely, and B describes a scenario in which there is information.