PT71.S4.Q13/Q16/Q22

lsathopefullsathopeful Alum Member
edited December 2015 in Reading Comprehension 263 karma
If anyone is able to explain any of the above questions, I'd be very grateful.

To be more specific:
Q13 - stuck between A and D

Q16 - was able to eliminate C & D, but chose E

Q22 - really didn't understand this one... I chose A under timed conditions, and E during BR...neither of which were correct

Thanks in advance.
13- http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-4-passage-2-questions/
16- http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-4-passage-3-questions/
22- http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-4-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• annkang1005annkang1005 Alum Member
    63 karma
    All three questions were pretty tough for me as well. I bought 7sage's PT71, and I highly recommend that you buy it if you're having more problems!

Q13 - the "games that are intentionally commodified" are [some] of "most multiplayer online games" that "encourage" "real-world trade in virtual items" by "granting participants intellectual property rights in their creations" (sorry for the quotation marks everywhere. To answer this question, you want to organize the first paragraph of Passage B this way). So the the right answer is D.

Q16 - I think this was a hard question because it really had to depend on your ability to infer from not just one or two sentences but both paragraphs 2 and 3 (and a bit of 4). The author notes how there has been little systematic research on superior performance, and when the recent research shows that superior performance is most always correlated with extensive training. Note that while the whole time the reader feels like "ok, I get it, success is not due to innate talent," the author never explicitly says, "innate talent is not the cause." The closest thing he says is "evidence does not support the claim that a notion of innate talent must be invoked in order to account for the difference between good and outstanding performance." And we know from all the flaw questions that "no support" does not mean "does not exist." So what he is basically showing through paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 is that extensive training is such a big confounder that we can't deduce whether innate talent IS a significant factor. E is wrong because of the very strong language "exceptional skill does not depend in ANY WAY on innate talents of individuals." We don't know this.

Q22 - Passage 4 was a TOUGH passage to understand for me, and if you felt the same, I highly highly recommend just purchasing the PT71 to see JY go through it. Basically paragraph 2 outlines the "front-to-back" explanation of mirrors. Then, it says "this explanation appeals strongly to many people." Why? because "we are accustomed to dealing with our mental constructs of objects rather than with the primary sense perceptions on which those constructs are based." So when question 22 asks what this facilitates our ability to, it facilitates our ability to understand the front-to-back explanation of what mirrors do.