Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't know how to diagram

erliana2erliana2 Free Trial Member
in General 12 karma
I've been studying on my own for some time. When I do PTs I notice that I am getting an average of 5 wrong per LR section. All of them are either assumption or paralel/parallel flaw questions. Everything else is right. I've been looking online and most of the suggestions involve diagramming. I don't know how to do that. Diagramming confuses me. Right now my results are -0 for games, -5 for reading ( which I am improving by getting used to reading more. ) but for my LR sections, I am stuck. Any suggestions or advice? Is learning how to diagram mandatory?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @erliana2 said:
    Is learning how to diagram mandatory?
    No. It is not mandatory. More accurately, it is neither sufficient nor necessary to attaining a good score. It is not a panacea, though it is useful.

Aside from that, I assume you did not use 7Sage's curriculum. What did you use to prep?

In my opinion diagramming is a means to an end and that is a statement that works on a couple different levels. First, within the 7Sage curriculum I think that diagramming serves as logic training to help rewire your brain to just think in terms that are a bit more relevant to what the LSAT is testing you on. Second, diagramming can help you more easily work through dense LR questions by allowing you to work in the abstract (A --> B --> C, A --> C).

I think the first of these is actually more important, but most people seem to end up thinking that the second is more important and they turn what can be an occasionally helpful tool (once or twice per section), into a crutch. Now, not all crutches are bad, and in fact sometimes they are often necessary. A proper crutch allows you to go about business as usual for the most part, while an overused crutch will prevent you from developing properly. This is where common sense really needs to come in for the people that adhere to the first sentiment because if you are diagramming 5-10 or more questions per section you are simply not going to finish. Diagramming as you learn the test is helpful to learn to parse out the interplay between sufficiency and necessity, but ultimately you want that to become as intuitive as your brain will allow. On game day it will just slow you down if you apply it too frequently.

Furthermore, there has been a noticeable shift away from a lot of formal/conditional logic on more recent LSATs and so diagramming is becoming less of an issue anyways. If you really need the foundations of diagramming I would either get the Starter package from 7Sage or a copy of the LSAT Trainer. The former is more logic heavy and will get you on point while the latter is less so but does still provide more than enough for a properly motivated individual to grasp the basic concepts of diagramming formal/conditional logic.

People score in the 99th percentile without diagramming, but that doesn't mean that everyone can. Some people will always need it to some degree, and some won't. If you feel that that is what is missing from your prep then drop some money on one of the above resources and learn some new skills. Otherwise I would just work on your ability to dissect the meanings in English, but it doesn't sound like that has worked so far.

• erliana2erliana2 Free Trial Member
    12 karma
    @Pacifico thank you so much! I will probably get the LSAT trainer. I did not really use anything to prep besides taking PTs and doing blind reviews. My concern is that learning to diagram will make me slower.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @erliana2 said:
    I will probably get the LSAT trainer.
    DO IT!
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    @erliana2 it will make you slower in the beginning but as you get better at it you will use a lot less time and possibly just do it in your head eventually.