Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having a real hard time seeing improvement on LG.....

gyoo01gyoo01 Member
Hello all,

I really need some sage advice.
I have been following the LG attack strategy and the foolproof review method for LG sections. LG is by far my biggest trouble area. I know you gotta get LG perfect to see scores above 170s. LG is the section that is holding me back in high 160s area, and I am really really desperate to change this before the December test.
People say LG is the easiest section to improve, but for me.... I just can't do games well under a timed condition!! I can solve games well when I am just drilling non-timed.

Besides following the LG attack strategy Mr. Pacifico kindly shared with the community.... is there anything else I should be doing to get perfect on LG....? I would really really appreciate any advice. I never expected LG would be such a problem for me :(

Comments

• Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    same for me:/ Its a constant struggle
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    I'm not a sage...But I can try to help.

@gyoo01 said:
    I can solve games well when I am just drilling non-timed.
    You should only be doing this when BRing. The hardest part of this test is the time constraints in which we are tasked with operating under. If you are drilling without the timed pressure, I would suggest stopping it at this moment and never going back to that... unless its during a BR.

Have you gone through the curriculum regarding the logic games? What are you having the most difficulty with? Diagramming the board? The rules? Questions? What games give you the most trouble... Sequencing? Grouping? I'd love to help but we need to know a little more about your struggles.
  • gyoo01gyoo01 Member
    56 karma
    @"GSU Hopeful" . Yes. I meant I can solve games when I am blind reviewing. Sorry to just write it as 'drilling'. After I bomb the LG section and try to solve the games during the a phase without time constraint, then I am fine....

Yes, I have gone through all the curriculum regarding LG. I am actually planning to review some of the lectures on grouping games because grouping seems to be where I suck at. I think it is hard for me to decide when to split the game boards and go all the way with getting all possibilities. When I try to split game boards and spend a lot of time up-front, then many times, JY actually doesn't split the game boards in the explanation videos and just goes straight to questions with the rules. So, I end up spending a lot of time trying to split game boards which wasn't a necessary process...
    Also, I sometimes just freeze when I cannot easily figure out the answer. For CBT questions, I am okay with going down the answer choices and trying each.
    For MBT/MBF questions that require harder inferences (or the inference that I did not make upfront when drawing a game board initially), I just freeze and......I don't know, just freeze. And then I try to brute force my way down, which also takes time away. From that point, I am already screaming in my head "oh my god oh my god oh my god" million times, so mental aspect is huge for me at least.....

I am sure I have other weaknesses, but I am not sure what exactly I need to share to be diagnosed correctly, so to say. I am really thankful for your reply. I hope this gives you a better sense of where I am....
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    If you can't blind review close to perfect, that just means you need to go through the logic curriculum again. I must have gone through those portions of the curriculum 4 times to solidify my understanding of the games. Once you have that understanding, then it will be about doing it under timed considerations. Make sure you know your logical indicators in your sleep. Make sure you understand how to chain sequencing rules in your sleep. Make sure you know how to chain conditional rules in your sleep: Make sure you understand "or" and "not both" rules in your sleep. Make sure you know what makes a conditional trigger and when it's irrelevant in your sleep. You see the point I'm making: go back and re-watch al that stuff again. Then see if it clicks. If not, go back and watch it again.
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    This has been a struggle for me, but I don't think it necessarily means you need to repeat the foundational lessons unless you know that is your weakness. I know that was not my problem.
    You need to hone your skills about doing an entire timed section (not just individual games), knowing when to split, etc. You have to develop the instincts for this. Do a section, then watch how JY sets up all the boards. If he didn't split, you probably should not have tried to, but pay attention to why so you can hone your instincts. Sometimes he forgoes a split when it's actually helpful, because he is a genius. if you solve in less than his time with a split, then your split was helpful for you. If it was clearly an open ended game and you wasted time trying out splits that did not lead to many inferences, then you know you didn't diagnose that set-up correctly.
    Do this often enough with full sections, checking your work against what JY does, and you'll begin to see your patterns and where you need to correct.
    Finally, keep moving in the section. if a question psychs you out, skip and come back. Go fast but don't be afraid to skip around. If a game psychs you out, skip and come back. Take an extra few seconds to ask yourself rationally if your set-up is helping you solve the questions, or if you need to spend more time making up front inferences.
    You need to diagnose where you are going wrong and wasting time in order to improve.
    Lastly, I recommend recording yourself doing a set; this really helped me see where I was wasting time.