Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Habits

SteFunny-1-1-1SteFunny-1-1-1 Core Member
in General 224 karma
Hey everyone!
I am trying to find the best way to study and I was wondering if it is best to study one section (LG, LR, RC) at a time or is it okay to study multiple sections at time?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Multiple sections. If you focus just on one then your skills will diminish when you move onto another.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @SVMIRTO said:
    I am trying to find the best way to study
    Have you completed a curriculum yet?
  • deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    I think depends on your ability per section and goals. Assuming you are taking in December:

If you are getting more than -5 on LG, definitely focus that for a week at least, but still drill other stuff. LG is easy to improve in and can cause the most dramatic shift in your score, especially this close to the test. If you do make a huge improvement here, don't do what I did and then put it down. Keep drilling at least a game or two every day, preferably a whole section per day.

(Incidentally, once you learn it, it is easy to relearn. I literally relearned my LG the week before my October test)

I'd say the same thing about LR, if and only if there are specific question types that you are missing. For example, do you understand the difference between a sufficient and necessary assumption and could you quickly improve just by learning that better?

Don't ever focus RC. It's just too hard to improve. RC has to be improved slowly just by reading more stuff in general.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @josephellengar said:
    Don't ever focus RC. It's just too hard to improve.
    @josephellengar said:
    RC has to be improved slowly just by reading more stuff in general.

I disagree on this. RC is all about learning inferences and eliminating based on the passage. If RC is a concern, I'm holding a webinar on it this Saturday, where I'll talk about these issues as well as higher level strategy.

I've seen students make substantive progress in just a few weeks. Improvement in RC IS possible. But of course, barking up the wrong tree will never catch a dog a squirrel.