Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaning of "it is a given" and "for such"

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
edited November 2015 in Logical Reasoning 3107 karma
On PT 58.1.13, we have one of the harder main point questions. I got this one correct, but I want to make sure I am understanding the passage correctly.

Does the phrase "it is a given" introduce a premise? Also, does "for such" introduce a premise?

EDIT: I got rid of the "always introduce" since there are probably exceptions. I am more wondering if they tend to introduce premises.

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" Yes. I would treat "it is a given" and "for such" as premise indicators. "Given" would introduce evidence (premise) for a conclusion. Treat "for such" the same as you would "for".
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @"Accounts Playable" @"GSU Hopeful" I'm a little concerned that always using "it is a given" as a premise indicator might lead in some cases to mistaking a contextual statement as an argument's premise. I would say the phrase -could- be a premise indicator. I agree that it seems like whatever follows is then about to be used as support, but it could be support for "other people's conclusion".
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @nye8870 You make a good point. I agree.