61.1.17 and 18 (Reading Comprehension)

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
edited November 2015 in Reading Comprehension 3107 karma
For question 17, I can't differentiate between D and E. For question 18, I got the correct answer via POE, but I don't know what "merely in a matter of degree" means in answer choice C. Can someone translate what that is talking about? Does it mean "quantitatively?" That seems like a weird definition.

Question 17 essentially wants us to support Maritain using something in Passage A. In Passage B, Maritain thinks that animal communication is a conditional reflex and not conscious intent.

Answer D: I see how this answer supports him. Calling causes females to approach and males to retreat. There is no evidence that the frogs do it in order to rely the calling frog's desire/intent to mate nor influence the other frog's behavior. This seems to suggest it is pretty reflexive.

Answer E: But, doesn't this equally support Maritain? The primates don't adjust their call depending on who is there/rely knowledge. Thus, there appears to be no goal/conscious intent either. Doesn't this also suggest that the primate coos and calls as a reflex when it sees food or predators, respectively?