Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Absence

LawSheepLawSheep Member
edited December 2015 in December 2015 LSAT 25 karma
On Saturday, I had my worst, worst case scenario happen... I have epilepsy and I had a full-blown seizure the day of the exam. Since I live across the street from my testing site, I dragged myself out of bed and showed up to the exam but ultimately decided that I wasn't going in the mental state to take an exam and that it would be unethical to screw up everyone else's testing experience should I have another seizure. I talked it over with the proctor and it was decided I should take an absence instead of a cancellation so it wouldn't count towards my 3 takes in 2 years. I still plan to apply to law school this year, though. Will an addendum be sufficient to explain the absence? I'm in the process of obtaining official documentation from my neurologist and I have an LSAT score from October that is alright, but was trying to raise a few more points? I worry that they will think that if I'll have a seizure on such a big day like the LSAT that it could happen again. Super bummed because this is my first one since high school.

Comments

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    Hmmm.. You could write a brief addendum and maybe get it documented via lsac and the proctor document it.... BUT given your concerns, you could always just have the absence.

I have an absence in addition to my 3 exams. I wrote addenda for other things but I didn't bother with an addenda for an absence.

They know shit happens, that's the point of an absence, so if you don't want to explain the epilepsy, you can just not do anything.

I really don't think it's worth worrying about.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    I don't really have any advice for you as I'm not quite sure what to do in these situations (and @"Quick Silver" already gave you some pretty good advice, I'm sure others will too!), but I just wanted to stop in and send you good vibes. Hope all is well and it wasn't too stressful for you.
  • rhinofoodrhinofood Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    Don't see the big deal about one absence. A pattern of them could be concerning.
  • LawSheepLawSheep Member
    25 karma
    Thanks for the advice @"Quick Silver"! I'll have to think it over a little bit more. I'll probably write a short addendum to explain the situation so there aren't any question marks on the ad comm's side. But it makes me feel loads better having the option to not have to explain the absence if I decide it could be a detriment.

Also, thanks for the good vibes @"Dillon A. Wright"! They are very appreciated!

I think this is my brain's really dumb way of telling me I need to take some time off to relax.
    All and all, I'm glad I decided not to sit for the exam-- the low score would've been worse than the absence, surely, and if anything, now I'm not waiting in terror until the score reports come back!