Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Technical question about video data usage

runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 2481 karma
Hi guys,
Does anybody know about how much data would a video use (say a 10 minute one) on an iPhone? I'm trying to figure out how careful I need to be watching the videos without a WiFi connection.
Thanks!

Comments

• GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" might be able to answer.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2016 2086 karma
    There's actually a pretty simple way to figure this out.
    Go to settings --> cellular. Scroll down and hit "Reset Statistics" (only do this if you don't need to know how much data you've used up to this point).
    Open a 10 minute 7 Sage video. Watch it. Close the video and app, go back to Settings --> Cellular. Look under "Cellular Data Usage." The "Current Period" box should tell you how much data you used. Since you had previously reset your counter, the only thing recorded would be the video you watched (presuming you don't have any other apps running in the background, that use data).

Disclaimer: This won't provide you with a perfect number, just a very rough estimate.
    You can also call your cell carrier and ask them directly. They should know.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member
    edited February 2016 266 karma
    A 10 minute YouTube video (non HD resolution) uses ~10-30 MB of bandwidth. I'd imagine the course videos would not use more than that and, if anything, it's probably less.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Thank you all! I did the experiment @MrSamIam suggested and it's about 3MB/minute (in case anybody wants to know). So, right at the upper limit of what @noobie1 estimated.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @runiggyrun Some cell phone providers offer decent deals on their "portable" routers. I use one when I'm out of the house and want to study off of my laptop or phone.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I've never been more thankful for more $30 unlimited data plan in my life :) Between 7Sage and Periscope I am sure I'd owe tons on a different network