Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Balancing LSAT with actual life

Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
edited February 2016 in General 1650 karma
Happy Saturday everyone,

I'm finishing up my last semester of undergrad while prepping for the June LSAT. I'm pretty deep into the PT phase, so my typical schedule is a rotation of 1. PT, 2. deep BR, 3. work on whatever I want to drill, 4. day off. *Rinse and repeat*

I've been seeing great improvement with this strategy and planned to keep this schedule until I finish finals in late April. Then I was going to turn on the gas hardcore until end of May, and pull off as June begins and we get closer to the 6th. I really want to avoid burn out (huge weakness for me prepping last October) and still kill it in my classes. With this schedule, I feel ready to attack PTs, which was not how I felt last fall.

Anyway, I had a really busy week with midterms, paper, etc, and was forced to take 3 days off and not BR my most recent PT. I always PT on Saturdays though so I'm at a crossroads..do I BR my most recent test and forget about today's PT? Or do I chalk last week up as a loss, PT today, and just move forward as normal?

What do you guys do when real life forces you to take unplanned days off?

Thanks!

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    If your next week is looking less crazy, how about doing your PT today and then BRing both today's and last week's PT's during the week?
  • nibs7985nibs7985 Member
    100 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    If your next week is looking less crazy, how about doing your PT today and then BRing both today's and last week's PT's during the week?
    This. Seems like best of both worlds.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    This is probably a bit late for today but just wanted to add in my general philosophy on what you're talking about here. I always think it is best to take the time to BR and push the next PT to the right. Since there is potential for so much learning to take place during BR you are in effect shortchanging yourself by taking another PT without that potential for growth to be realized from that BR. For example, maybe you just took 59 and were supposed to take 60 today. Well maybe there are things in your 59 BR that will make something finally click for you and then that could make the difference in a couple raw points or even a couple scaled points on 60. Since BR is where you really learn where you are at, you're essentially taking two PTs at the same skill level rather than a hopefully slightly better skill level. Now of course this isn't the end of the world or anything and it's not really going to hurt you in the long run most likely, but I think it is just a sensible way to deliberately approach your prep.
  • MikeyMangoodMikeyMangood Alum Member
    edited February 2016 100 karma
    I agree with @Pacifico that one should finish their BR before moving on to another PT. I know how tempting it can be since, in relation to BR, a PT can be more exciting. Testing your 100-yard dash for time is often more exciting than watching the video breakdown on replay and assessing your weaknesses during your last run, but it's probably not the best move.