Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Webinar] RC Mini Course in Three Sessions

2»

Comments

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" so glad you asked about JY's question in @c.janson35 Corey's office hours!! I actually sent a PM to @"Accounts Playable" after the deadline Sunday night to clarify my reasoning because it was driving me nuts as well. At that time I was working on Mike Kim's conditional Extreme Links to drill logic and was so frustrated I took a day off and seriously questioned if it was possible for any of this to ever become intuitive. I am going to utilize the Question Bank to drill from here on out...

Anyone know of a quick way to parse out the Conditional heavy questions in PT's 1-35 for drilling so I can build some confidence?
  • quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    edited March 2016 611 karma
    @twssmith If it's any consolation to you, the "conditional logic" on the LSAT just isn't intuitive, past a certain point. This is because the conditional used on the LSAT is the material conditional, which is simply not how we intuitively use conditional statements in ordinary language. There are mountains of academic literature on the material conditional in philosophy of logic and philosophy of language, and alternatives to the material conditional go back to Fregean times.

That's not to discourage you from drilling or anything. I do think that with enough practice, anyone can develop a very strong working understanding of the material conditional and answer all the relevant LSAT questions just fine. But you're also in good company if you find the conditional logic on the LSAT counterintuitive sometimes.

That said, in this specific case with the panthers, the thing that seems to be tripping people up isn't so much the conditional as it is the vacuous universal/negative existential. In ordinary language, it's a very natural maneuver to go from "All P are Q" to "Some P are Q". Unfortunately, this maneuver is a pragmatic one, not a semantic/logical one.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    Thanks @quinnxzhang for your support. My initial response to the question was how do we know that there are actually any CP's that hunt at night to draw the inference that they are nocturnal predators. My frustration is that I doubted myself which means that I lack confidence to rely on the basics of my fundamentals.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    @twssmith said:
    My frustration is that I doubted myself which means that I lack confidence to rely on the basics of my fundamentals.
    Don’t let this bother you T. It is beyond the scope of what the LSAT tests.
  • Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma
    No trivial solutions.
  • Fish0701Fish0701 Member
    133 karma
    Are these recording ever going to get posted?
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Fish0701 said:
    Are these recording ever going to get posted?
    No recordings are available of this—sorry.
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    No recordings are available of this—sorry.
    JY: @toughchoice yes, like all our other webinars, you'll be able to access this one too once the it's done.

On page 1 of comments.
  • jessicaljjessicalj Alum Member
    172 karma
    @Mookittyy I can't seem to find it now but it was mentioned somewhere that the recording wouldn't be posted as the webinar series was essentially the same as the Core Curriculum, but with the interactive component.
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    @jessicalj Ok, thanks for the clarification.