Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June 2016 vs September 2016

T.Jam.24T.Jam.24 Alum Member
in General 31 karma
I am trying to decide which LSAT to take, June 2016 or September 2016. I know these types of questions have been asked over and over again but responses to my specific concern would be very appreciated.

I started studying at the beginning of February and I anticipate most who respond (if any do) will recommend waiting until September if I am not confident in my scores (which at this point I am not but am optimistic I will improve over the next two months). My concern with waiting until the September LSAT is that I may get through all the PT's and then only be able to redo old ones. I am also worried I will lose ambition for studying for such a long period of time. If there is anyone out there who has studied for 6-8months straight and could over some words of wisdom? It would be much appreciated.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    You should watch this webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/my-18-point-increase-story for a great story about longer term studying.

Many of us have taken out times with the LSAT on this forum. I started over a year ago and only have a handful of fresh tests, but I can still gauge my mastery on repeats and tests I havent taken in awhile.

It is true burnout can happen as well as a lack of motivation, if you are not careful, but think of the LSAT as a simple precursor for Law School, where we will be nonstop for at least the first two years.

I just looked at the study schedule: https://7sage.com/study-schedule?show_for_level=ultimate&start_date=February+1,+2016&end_date=September+24,+2016

If you started Feb 1, even for Sept your needing to average 7-10 hours a week, plus 2 PTs a week. Plus there are 6PTs that are not accounted for in the Ultimate schedule.

Using the Ultimate to June is much more aggressive, with 3 PTs a week, plus the need to add in the 6 tests.

So you have the material there.

Some questions to help the community help answer your question.

Have you started taking timed PTs yet? Have you finished the core curriculum? What is your LSAT goal? How close to your goal are you now? What are your strengths and weaknesses on the test? Someone struggling in LG can usually bring up their score faster than someone missing many in LR, for instance.

We are still pretty far away from the test, but it is approaching quickly. We have about 3 weeks before we have to decide if we are testing (add another week with late registration).

It might be a better idea to gauge your progress in a few weeks. It is difficult now to make any recommendations, because we dont really know what your goals are, or where you are in your prep.

A quick note, is that you can help make sure you dont burn through PTs, until you've reached a great level of mastery in the 38 and lower PTs. Thats why fool proofing and reviewing those earlier tests are extremely valuable.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I think it just really depends. You have totally reasonable concerns for both options. If your target score is a 177 and your current PT/BR average is 160/165, obviously that’s a very different situation than something like a 165 target with an average 164PT/178 BR.
  • T.Jam.24T.Jam.24 Alum Member
    31 karma
    Thank you for the responses. I think you have clarified for me that there isn't much of a worry for me to finish all the PT's by June. I'm going to continue to study and reevaluate in a few weeks and decide right before registration deadline.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    To address your concern re: running out of tests, I'm planning on exhausting the utility of each week of PTs before getting right back into the next week's worth.

If I complete a PT, with full BR, and I'm still making the same kind of errors, I will step back, revisit the relevant curriculum material for the mistake(s). Once I'm confident I have properly addressed them, I will move onto my next PT(s).

Imagine using 6-9 PTs and realizing you're making the same mistakes over and over compared to using 1-3 PTs, reinforcing the necessary skills to eliminate those mistakes before moving onto 6-8 more PTs and getting more out of them with your sharpened skill set.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Well said @"A. Clermont" . It's important to not just PT/BR but to do it well. Better to do one right than 10 wrong.
  • Herewego...Herewego... Member
    97 karma
    Does anyone know when the LSAT September registration opens up?
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    167 karma
    @vsecaida I think somewhere near the beginning of August.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    6-8 months straight? Try a year. If your goal is to get into a top law school, and you are motivated to do so, a few extra months worth of studying wont hurt you.
    Remember, you are always welcome to take a few days off. Some even recommend taking a week or two off to rest your mind.
    Take the test when you're ready. If you feel like you are burning out or losing interest in studying, then take a step back. Relax for a few days, go out and have some fun, then return to studying when you feel refreshed.
    There are members on this forum who studied for years before taking the test - though, i'm not sure if their schedules were consistent.