Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving on LR tips

AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
edited May 2014 in General 182 karma
Hi guys,

June 2014 LSAT test is a month away, and many of us probably still need to improve on all of the three LSAT sections. I have noticed from reading the recent discussions that most people are struggling with LR, especially with completing it on time. I think that maybe we should share our tips on how to improve on this section to help each other do better on the upcoming test (or later tests for those who are not taking June 2014 test).

For, instance what I have learnt after struggling with this section is that there are a lot of questions which talk about some sort of experiment. Those are usually Weakening/Strengething/Resolve Paradox questions. So, to answer these type of questions faster, it is important to know how proper experiment is to be conducted, especially, keeping things other than the thing being measured similar/same. The correct answer choice would often be the one that would address the issue of other things being equal/not equal depending on the type of question. Sometimes, they would specifically say in the stimulus that the experiment was held under similar conditions, but include an incorrect answer choice which would say that the conditions were different.

So, we you guys can make some input on how things you need to know to go through LR faster, I think it would help at least some of us improve on it.

Comments

• vandyzachvandyzach Free Trial Member
    358 karma
    Great idea, Alena.

I have found that writing out my own explanations for more difficult questions (basically any question later than #15 in a section) helps me IDENTIFY WHERE I GO WRONG.

Here's how wrong answer choices work: The test writers are trying to get you to fall for a flaw. They are trying to get you to assume something that the stimulus doesn't say. They are trying to get you to equivocate two different terms. They are trying to get you to choose an assumption that is sufficient when the question is asking us for an assumption that is necessary.

I have found that when I write out explanations, I CAN USUALLY SEE THE FLAW THAT I COMMIT IN PICKING THAT WRONG ANSWER CHOICE. I can also see how the test writers hide the correct answer (usually through poor wording), although generally my mistake in picking the wrong answer choice is much, much clearer.

Then check your explanations against JY's explanations and see where you went wrong.

Don't be afraid to go into detail in these explanations. The more of you thought process you type out, the more potential mistakes in your thought process you can uncover.

Obviously, the only negative about this study technique is that it takes ALOT of time. But I think that's ok because look at some of J.Y's previous comments- he took every prep test and took some multiple times before taking the LSAT. Getting scholarship money at a good school is serious- so it makes sense that we should spend alot of time trying to achieve that. I guess the hardest part is getting our friends/ significant others to recognize this so they don't get mad at us when we say we can't do something with them because we have to study. Ok, now I'm rambling.

Hope this helps!