Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Assumptions in Strengthening Questions

Cackie JhilesCackie Jhiles Alum Member
I am having some difficulty on strengthening questions that do not use causal reasoning. I am getting nearly all the weakening questions right because I am in the mindset of contradicting the assumptions made in the argument. However, for strengthening questions, should I look for an answer choice that strengthens the underlying assumption? Alternatively, will an answer choice that only states the assumption strengthen the argument?

Comments

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    10/10 strongly recommend @"Nicole Hopkins" strengthen/weaken webinar. It's kind of PACKED with information, so it took me about 3 sittings to go through it, but she breaks it down in a way/method I hadn't seen before, and i have noticed a huge increase in my confidence since employing her method.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2016 2481 karma
    Stating an assumption is a common correct answer for strengthen questions. Because the stem usually says something like "which of the following IF TRUE most strengthens", you're taking an unstated supporting premise that may or may not be true (the assumption) and making it true.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I second the recommendation @BruiserWoods gave
  • edited May 2016 131 karma
    One thing that has been a huge help for me is thinking in terms of "coloring in" the details of the premise in order to strengthen the support in between the premise and conclusion. Just at face value, all LR arguments are relatively short;(I think the longest question I've seen was seven sentences on an early PT?) hence, there almost has to be other details out there that will give it more support. In a sense, be aware that the situation given is not the entire story. There are still many brave new worlds of premises and background information that await to to be explored and conquered (A vague cheesy way or approaching the ACs; forgive me). ><

Practically speaking, take note of any new words or concepts that appear in the premise or conclusion, which tend to indicate subtle scope shifts that can help you see the "gap" that needs to be strengthened.

'Hope that helps!
  • Cackie JhilesCackie Jhiles Alum Member
    88 karma
    @BruiserWoods @runiggyrun @danielznelson @"Derek Kunhee Kim" Thank you all for the responses! Very helpful! I watched the @"Nicole Hopkins" strengthen/weaken webinar over the weekend which was awesome. I reviewed the strengthening questions that JY answered using these recommendations, and the correct answers made a lot more sense. Thanks again guys!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma