Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prepping for September test, drastic drop in timed LG section. Any advice from 7Sagers?

BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
edited May 2016 in General 8689 karma
I’ve drilled and drilled LG for the past 7 months. I have done nearly 700 LG games, 50 timed sections and really battled to get my LG score close to that coveted -0 or -1. I have not taken any LG sections in the 70s (saving these) and in the last 2 weeks I finally hit -0 on three separate timed LG sections from the early 50s. I felt confident and even finished those sections within 31-33 minutes. My scores prior to achieving the 3 perfect sections hovered around -2 for 3 months. I thought everything was going well. I would take a timed LG section one day, then drill 10 games from the 1-35 PT sets the next day. Today I took PT 39’s LG section and scored an astonishing 11/23. For some perspective, I scored 12/23 untimed during my initial diagnostic last August… I am not necessarily shocked, because I didn’t feel the sense of being “in control” of the games in the PT 39 set, but cannot put my finger on why. Doing well on this test requires honesty with oneself. Eluding the truth about one’s weaknesses is of no virtue. 11/23 doesn’t define my abilities on LG, but points to something systemic that is terribly wrong. If I was really approaching true mastery of the games, I feel as though my "bad days" wouldn't be this terrible. My sense is that when a game doesn’t flow well or doesn’t fit some sort of pattern I have come across before, I stumble and make silly mistakes. Has anyone else experienced this? I take Saturdays and Sundays off completely, so I don’t attribute this to burnout, I wake up excited to prep and learn each day. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

-Thank You

Edit: spelling error

Comments

• Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    That sounds like a big fluke. Make a sacrificial flame and burn the answer sheet. Let us never worry about this again.

Seriously though—focus on your victories. If this becomes a trend, let's talk again. I'm confident it won't.
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    I had a couple sections like that. BR the heck out of it and then forget the bad score ever happened. On the times it happened to me in logic games however it uncovered a weakness that I was happy to uncover (missed deductions, bad game board, etc). Live and learn and you'll grow from this.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    Take notice of whatever mistakes you made in that section and make a note of them so you don't repeat them!

I've gone -2 to -0 in LG since finishing the curriculum, but my last PT was a brutal -9, because I whiffed the inference phase and didn't think about splitting my game boards properly, thus missing massive inferences meaning finishing the section required guessing 5 questions and missing 4 gimmes.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Thank you everyone for your replies to my issue.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    I'm going to BR the section tomorrow and heed the preceding advice.