Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sagers, is there a single LR question that taught you the most? Come in and post!

BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
in General 8689 karma
7Sagers, is there an example of a LR question that you have deconstructed front to back that really paid dividends for you? I’m not talking about magic bullets or anything, but a question that after you had a foundational grasp of LR down, provided an understanding that you felt took you to a deeper comprehension of the test? Maybe a question that you were thankful you got wrong because of the insight heavily reviewing it provided? If possible, I would like to use this thread to bring together our views as a community on this matter. Disparate points of view, like the sinews of the rope are often the strongest when they come together.

For me, my question is 53-3-22, the Paradox-Except question. The first layer of difficulty on this question for me is the “except” element of the question stem. For some reason, I lose sight of this when my brain tries to make the answer choices fit, when they do fit (that is to say, when they actually resolve the paradox) it takes a fair amount of discipline for me to not consider them the “correct” answer. Essentially, I feel as though it takes me an extra step to first translate the answer in a manner in which resolves the paradox and then eliminate it as wrong. I am reminded in this regard of what Marx wrote about the clunkiness of learning a new language: " In like manner, the beginner who has learned a new language always translates it back into his mother tongue, but he assimilates the spirit of the new language and expresses himself freely in it only when he moves in it without recalling the old and when he forgets his native tongue.”

The first lesson this question provided me was not to waste the mental energy on the “Except” part. Simply know before I sit for the actual test that “except” means what it means and be familiar enough with the exam that that process is automatic and smooth. The first time I got this question wrong I simply chose something that resolved the paradox (C) and wrote “Easy!” in the margins. This will never happen again.

The next lesson this question taught me what was both out-of-bounds and in-bounds in the realm of assumptions. That is to say what constitutes “implausible, superfluous…” by “common sense standards” when weighing the assumptions of answer choices? The second time I got this question wrong I chose (A) because I thought it took more assumptions to consider (A) as a resolution than it did any other. So count that as 2 times I got this question wrong for 2 different reasons.

At the end of the day for this question, you are forced to weigh whether (A) or (B) actually resolves the paradox more. (A) carries with it the assumption that because libraries are buying fewer “popular” novels, that people are choosing to buy them at bookstores and therefore are increasing profit. (B) carries with it the assumption that not only are bookstores contained within the nebulous “most” retail category in which shoplifting has hit, but that the cost of the “sophisticated antitheft equipment” was not only covered by bookstores being “largely unaffected,” but that it actually lent itself to “increased profits,” all within the realm of “recent.” Colloquially, if I were to show (B) to my friends who are nurses or chefs or mechanics, it would make sense as something that resolved the issue. Yet the assumptions that it carries because of the wording, require much more mental gymnastics than (A) does to resolve the issue.

Lesson #2 this question taught me: you are going to have to sometimes make some assumptions, make them cautiously and weigh your options. you don't have to love the answer choice for it to be correct.

Lesson 3 is to bury the question when you've answered it. It's worth 1 point.

So 7Sagers, I hope this wasn't too stream-of-conscious, but what are yours? I look forward to your comments!

-David

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @doneill3389 said:
    Maybe a question that you were thankful you got wrong because of the insight heavily reviewing it provided?
    Great thread @doneill3389 for me 60.3.24 is a great question. I struggled with this one and had missed it but upon reviewing it gave me greater insight about how to take everything in the LSAT for what it is.
  • AddistotleAddistotle Member
    edited May 2016 328 karma
    61.4.24 was a good reinforcement of how mechanically logic works when dealing with SA questions. Especially when you're at the end of the 5th section of a PT and your brain is mush, if I'd taken just a little more time to write out the logic instead of trying to do it in my head, I would've gotten it correct and finally scored 170.
  • Anna MarieAnna Marie Alum Member
    210 karma
    PT 71, Section 2, Q21. It's not the hardest LR question I've come across but I think it really challenged me to go back and make sure I really knew and understood existential modifiers. It's also a great example of the nuance that the newer LSATs have (supposedly) introduced on the harder questions for the LR sections. At first glance, two of the answers appear to be lawgical twins and it was easy to get panicked by that. Don't want to go too in depth analyzing the question here as I don't want to spoil the q for those who still have to take PT71 but definitely worth a look.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    I don't think I've run into a single question that taught me more than any other. Every question I have ever come across has taught me to never become complacent. Even the incredibly easy ones.
    3197 karma
    Wanted to bump, as I thought this was a good topic!
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Thank you @stepharizona , I wanted to ask generally, is there a series of lessons on the "rule substitution" questions for LG and if there isn't, would anyone be interested in petitioning the tutors/Sages to maybe do a short Webinar on the topic? I've been compiling some data on the rule substitution questions (writing out what each answer choice does etc) and understand that these questions are real curve-breakers on the exam. To master these questions is a huge step to that coveted -0 on LG!
    3197 karma
    Yep there sure is! https://7sage.com/lesson/substitution-and-equivalence-theory/

In my syllabus it is between PT 58 & 59 but I posted the link for you @doneill3389

Get that LG to 0!!
    3197 karma
    Oh I also found treating these questions like a MBT question to be helpful. What has to happen when you do the substitution? That usually helps to eliminate a few right off they bat. That might be from this lessons... but if not, its something that worked for me by shifting how I was thinking about them.
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Thank you @stepharizona ! You taking next week or September?
  • nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma
    30.2.22 the rattlesnake necessary assumption question snatched my scalp when I got it wrong. It definitely taught me to make sure I'm actively engaged for every single question and to also not make careless assumptions. After that question I learned the value of pausing after reading the question then stimulus in order to anticipate the correct answer and not get carelessly caught up in one of the attractive but wrong answer choices the test makers provide.

Great post question!
    edited June 2016 3197 karma
    @doneill3389 said:
    You taking next week or September?
    September. I was going to go for my retake in June, but wasn't properly dedicated and then was sick for 3 weeks right as I started to kick it into high gear (also why I was MIA in May for a bit on here), so I changed my test date before the deadline.

I am however, back on track as of this week and updated my study schedule plan (I love that tool https://7sage.com/study-schedule/)