Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension

ewch1992ewch1992 Free Trial Member
edited May 2014 in General 31 karma
Hi everyone!

How do you guys approach Reading Comprehension and what improvements have you seen on that section? Last month I did well on it, scoring 24/27 a couple times in a timed full test. Last 2 or 3 times I did a full 4 or 5 section timed test, I scored -8 or -9 on RC, which is bad enough. But just now, I did 2 timed readings (cause I fell asleep in the middle of the reading the third passage), and I got like 3/7 on each LOL. WTF is happening?! I know being tired is a factor, but I was fully awake during the first passage I read, and then the third one about osmoregulation killed me. help :(

Comments

• indiaholtindiaholt Alum Member
    31 karma
    I know right! Like I got 20/27 yesterday and then today I legit got 10/27.... It just seems so random if I do well or not!
  • GraceloverGracelover Alum Member
    edited May 2014 440 karma
    :( I know what you mean....before I took the newer tests without the comparative passage in there I was averaging a minus 3, minus 1, but on the more recent tests with the comparative passage, I've been scoring a minus 7, minus 9, and I don't think that's a coincidence, I just think the questions on the RC questions of more recent tests are a lot more difficult and require a lot more of a deeper understanding of the text....on the flip side the logic games and logical reasoning questions on the recent tests are easier so I am making about the same total score, minus 2 or 3 points....
    Right now what I'm doing is relearning how to read...which includes looking for structure, the main point, tone, main ideas, how the ideas connect....now if only I can do all these things more quickly....
  • E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
    377 karma
    I have noticed in passages where the author expresses a strong opinion and even a conclusion, the MP answer must include the authors conclusion. Is this right?
  • laestelle2009laestelle2009 Alum Member
    96 karma
    i feel like RC is just one of those things that you have to be super excited to study for and work on to do well. i think as long as you have a consistent scores like one day you get -5, the next -4, the next day its -6 then that's fine. but if one day you get -3 and the next day its -15 then that's a problem.

@dukeag comparative passages, i determine the MP of each and then find out how they relate and where they disagree. i also underline shift changes (words like: however, but, etc.,) it's easier to see what's going on in the passage. besides that i don't think there is much else you can do. let me know if you find a better way to attack those!

@E.T.90066-1 with MP questions you have to be careful because it seems to me that sometimes the author will thoroughly explain the opposition's argument and very subtly convey his opinion. so for me, it can be hard to determine what the author's purpose or MP is.