Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternating between New and Old PTs?

aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
in General 76 karma
I realize that some people notice a drop in their scores once they reach the latest PTs. I don't know how widespread this phenomenon is, but do you think it is wise or advantageous to do an older PT (say, in the 40s and 50s) with a fifth section from a newer PT? Or if I do an older one on one day and the next time I PT, do a more recent one? I've also heard that some of the newer PTs have some experimental logic games, so would alternating between older and newer PTs (the older known for having some funkier games) be a smart move/good way to ensure I am not thrown off too much compared to progressing precisely in chronological order?

Comments

• ethaaaanethaaaan Alum Member
    276 karma
    I would definitely not use a newer section as a fifth section in an older PT, more recent tests are the most valuable and should be used with discretion. If you use a single section from a 70s PT in a PT from the 40s, you lose the ability to then take that 70s PT in its entirety as fresh material. I would do the PTs in order from earlier to later, and skip every other, or every third once you get into the 50s or 60s. Then when you eventually progress into the late 60s and 70s you can begin to alternate between a slightly earlier untaken test and an untaken newer test. This approach would allow you to keep timing, skills, etc. up-to-par between taking newer tests. Although I would not advocate the opposite approach, where you are progressing through the 40s or 50s and begin alternating in 70s PTs. As to the LGs, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the term experimental, but again I would advocate a linear progression.

Being exposed to the newest PTs is vital, because there are noticeable differences, but mastering the older PTs first will allow you to handle the differences better.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I think it can be good to mix in the newer PTs into your studies, but I would make sure youve at least gone through everything Pre 52 first before you start mixing to make sure you got the fundamentals down well.

You can see a BR schedule here: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7sage.com_ft05lsm54j4ec1s6kj1d1bbpv0@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Chicago&pli=1
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Whatever you do, don't canibalize the 70s as 5th sections. I used pre-40s for that. I like the advice to do some 40s and maybe 50s to get the fundamentals solidified and then start mixing new tests in. I think i went up to about 54 in order, then alternated one 50, one 60, one 70 until i ran out of 50s and kept alternating 60s and 70s. Repeated some 70s toward the end and will repeat another this week to stay sharp without taking a new PT.
    The BR group schedule is somewhat similar, and if you're thinking of joining the group, which is a lot of useful fun, you should probably go ahead with their schedule.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @runiggyrun said:
    Whatever you do, don't canibalize the 70s as 5th sections.
    Amen!
  • aleun62aleun62 Free Trial Member
    76 karma
    Thanks everyone! I'll try some of these suggestions out. Much appreciated.