Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my thinking correct?

Zachary CarpenterZachary Carpenter Alum Member
in General 77 karma
I'm on the introduction to logic section, and I'm looking specifically at Group 1. When approached with a sentence like "Whenever it rains, it pours." I immediately, in my head restate it as "If rain, then pours." I know this is correct for Group 1, but I want to make sure thinking about it like this isn't going to hurt me in future lessons.

Comments

• bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I frequently think like that. It's especially easy because that translates straight into lawgic R-->P. Essentially you're just translating it into lawgic without the lawgic representation.

Eventually, you'll just start thinking R-->P without the intermediate step. But they're basically saying the same thing. What you're doing just helped me a lot in the beginning. It grounded me in knowing that all the different english ways to say it can be translated back into the easiest way to say it.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Yup, that is perfectly fine.

To solidify it, think of this sentence:

"Whenever I study, I do well." So, you can restate that sentence to say something like, "Ah, there's this thing called studying, and every single time ('whenever') I engage in it, I do well"

Well, if every single time you engage in studying you do well, then that means that "if" you study, you will certainly do well.

Tl;dr Yes, you can replace "whenever" with "if" in this case.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @zacharycarpenter1 said:
    I know this is correct for Group 1, but I want to make sure thinking about it like this isn't going to hurt me in future lessons.
    I often think about it like "if you've got X, then you've definitely got Y." So yeah, whatever colloquial version works, works!