Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prep Help

claudiaschiff94claudiaschiff94 Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
Hey!

I just graduated from undergrad and am now taking a gap year to prepare for the LSAT and hopefully get some legal experience too! I'm dedicating the first two months (August and September). just to studying so I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how to self study! (Books, sites, apps, classes) I'm also not sure whether to sign up for a prep course (and if so, which one). I did Kaplan last summer and didn't feel it increased my score significantly enough but I need a lot of practice and help :/ any advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 1650 karma
    Welcome to the right place! I highly recommend signing up for a 7sage course and purchasing the "10 actuals" series from Amazon.

Good on you for taking these first steps!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Well, you’re definitely going to get a skewed perspective on here, but I can’t recommend 7Sage highly enough. The study strategies are incredible and the curriculum is unparalleled. Also, the wisdom, experience, and support of the community really is unbelievable. This group is constantly surprising me, and after studying for over a year I am still learning new things every day.

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 2086 karma
    Let the biased opinions roll in! In all seriousness, 7Sage is by far my favorite prep course...and I've been exposed to quite a few.
    Ideally, you'll want to take a cold diagnostic (take the June '07 test, as it is readily available for free download). Check your score and see where you stand. Register for a prep course (7Sage...just sayin') or get some prep books. In any case, find a curriculum, and commit to it for the next few months. Then, when you're ready, start PTing (practice testing) and BRing (blind reviewing).
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I don't know of anyone who has been disappointed in their decision to go with 7Sage. While I frequently hear regrets from those that tried other more expensive courses. Besides the course itself, you have people like Nicole, Pacifico, Corey, Allison & JY offering unparalleled guidance & webinars. All of that combined with the supportive community I feel gives most people a great foundation & value for the money.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @Sheri123 said:
    I don't know of anyone who has been disappointed in their decision to go with 7Sage.
    There was that one guy that didn't like J.Y.'s "use of subliminal foul language throughout the course" or whatever.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Yeah @"Dillon A. Wright" but that guy was just weird & didn't realize the amazing benefits of subliminal foul language, it can be very therapeutic while studying for the LSAT.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2016 812 karma
    @claudiaschiff94 Best piece of advice I can give is use the old tests (pre-PT 35) to get really, really solid on the fundamentals of each section. Do not burn through valuable, "modern" PTs. When you do start taking simulated practice tests under realistic conditions, be sure to blind review THOROUGHLY.

Oh, and you will make lots and lots of mistakes. Don't let it discourage you. Blind reviewing will lead to fewer mistakes.

Good Luck!
  • claudiaschiff94claudiaschiff94 Free Trial Member
    4 karma
    Thank you very much for all your replies! Everything was so helpful. I'm going to do some self studying for a bit and then look into some 7sage options! I really appreciate all the feedback!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @claudiaschiff94 You can pick up The LSAT Trainer if you're not quite ready to jump into 7 Sage. Lots of people here use it with 7 Sage as a supplement and have no issues confusing the two. It's a great source for self study. It's about $45??
    27823 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    There was that one guy that didn't like J.Y.'s "use of subliminal foul language throughout the course" or whatever.
    I’m also curious as to what this dude thinks “subliminal” means.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    "use of subliminal foul language throughout the course"
    to be honest, this is literally one of my FAVORITE parts about the curriculum. It lightens the mood and reminds me not to take everything so seriously. Plus, I curse like a sailor, so I felt in good company.

That guy can take a hike. I love J.Y.
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    I can't believe it! These are always the highlights of my day! I can't wait for 7Sage merch to come out with f*%^ the seagulls!
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    @draj0623 said:
    I can't wait for 7Sage merch to come out with f*%^ the seagulls!
    NOW THERE'S AN IDEA!
    27823 karma
    @draj0623 said:
    f*%^ the seagulls!
    Always shitting everywhere!