Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you spot conclusion?

Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
Hi there,

I just started studying LSAT and was wondering how does the team spots conclusions?

Do you use indicator words as from the lecture?
Or
Do you just read an question and always ask why or the assumption method? (assume X is conclusion, whether the passage supports?

Comments

• Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    edited June 2016 651 karma
    First I look for indicators and if there are more than one indicator I ask myself which sentence supports the other. And the sentence that is supported is that conclusion. @"Giant Panda"
  • Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
    274 karma
    I agree with you and have used it too. But indicators can be confusing and really tip you off. For example, in one of the LR practice set, there is a problem where the conclusion contains a but and an additional premise with a but. If I had looked for indicators, I think I would have spent 5 more seconds evaluating the 2 "butts". :)
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    edited June 2016 116 karma
    I use indicators, but if I run into difficulty identifying the parts of an argument, I take what I think is the conclusion and ask myself if the other sentences serve as premises. Sometimes, I have to shuffle what I perceive to be the conclusion and the premises around in my head until it feels like an argument. Occasionally, it takes me a few seconds to fully understand a stimulus' reasoning structure, especially if the it contains a complex argument. Eventually, you will get really good at labelling the argument parts.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    There are a couple of ways:
    -For non-conclusion/main point questions, I tend to use the indicator words. Try not to rely on indicator words for MP/MC questions - they tend to indicate subsidiary conclusions.

-The "Why" method: This one is my favorite. I look for the sentence that makes me wonder "why?" Why should I believe the author? Why is that the case? If the remaining sentences provide me with background or an explanation that answers my "why?" question, then the sentence that led me to ask "why?" is the main point/conclusion.

-Gut feeling: As you progress through the curriculum, conclusions and main points will just pop out at you.
  • Admiral YummyAdmiral Yummy Member
    116 karma
    @MrSamIam - I'm going to try the "Why" method the next time I write a preptest. I imagine it not only helps you get a deeper understanding of the argument's structure, but it also points you to some of the assumptions the author takes for granted or fails to consider.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Why? Because? is a good way to do it the Why being the C, Because P... for some reason on arguments with a subC I also like to use the 'Therefore" test. its just the reverse of the Why/Because as its Premise Therefore Conclusion...
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @"Nathan Turley" You are certainly correct about that!