Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake or just apply?

LsatistheworstLsatistheworst Free Trial Member
edited June 2016 in General 59 karma
Hey guys, so long story short I took the Dec LSAT, cancelled my score, then took it again in June hoping to score in the mid to high 160s range (was scoring between 159 and 166 on my PTs) but I ended up getting a 160 flat due to what I feel was a fixable mistake in the last section (thought I screwed up section 4 really bad and I let that anxiety leak into section 5, ended up getting -8 on that final LR when I usually get less than -5). I have a 3.5 (I am a transfer student and my community college gpa kinda brought down my UC gpa) and a pretty good resume and LOR. I am also an URM. I want to ideally get into the lower T14 schools and the ones just outside it like Georgetown and UCLA but I would also need to be offered money. Should I retake? My first instinct was HELL YES I should retake but after speaking with an old friend who was also an URM with the EXACT same gpa/lsat score AND who just graduated from Cornell law school (she was given a 33% scholarship), I am having second thoughts. Thanks in advance!

P.S. If I were to retake, it would be the Sept test so I guess I have to decide soon D:

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    First of all, I'd recommend taking a few days to digest everything then reevaluate where you're at. But, what was the average of your last 5 PTs right before you took the exam? Honestly I think the decision to retake varies from person to person.

If your PT average right before the exam is significantly better than your June score I'd do some light studying, take a few PTs, and decide from there.

The LSAT is a huge component of admissions but at the same time there are other factors (URM, work experience, personal statements, etc) that matter. In the end if you think you'd only raise your score to like 161/162 it may not be worth it to retake. IMO at least
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Yeah, I agree with @"Ron Swanson". You have to balance out if a +1-4 point increase would really make a big difference for where you're trying to go with the face that you're gonna be eating, sleeping, and breathing LSAT again for the next 3 months.

That's not really a trick question - it's a personal decision. Either way, good luck.

And definitely take a few days to digest. <3
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    If you can readjust your expectations of schools you have a shot of getting into, no retake needed. And you might even snag a T14 like your friend did. However, since your last section was abnormal (and fixable) for you, I'd suggest a retake. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • solkriossolkrios Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    I'd retake, if you don't mind studying more. If you improve your score by 3-4 points the $175 LSAT fee could turn into a couple thousand dollars in scholarships from the right school.