Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for logical reasoning?

parretteparrette Alum Member
in General 90 karma
Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice with this section? I've gone through the 7sage curriculum and also have done the powerscore bibles. I'm generally getting -0/-2 for critical reading and usually perfect on logic games. The reasoning section is completely killing my score, with me missing -5 to sometimes even -11 on one section. I've taken 4 prep tests and even after blind review sometimes I just don't fully understand. Generally after reading an explanation I have a base level of understanding, but I don't think it's thorough. When each problem is presented and gone through in 7sage and powerscore I understand them and I've gotten the practice ones right...but when it comes to the actual prep test it goes terribly.

I'm not sure if I should just keep going with prep tests or blind review or...if there's something else I should be studying/looking for before that? I don't want to waste tests and feel that there must be something at the base I'm not comprehending well enough.

Thanks!

Comments

• BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    100% recommend using the "analytics" feature and seeing which question types you're missing the most of (Strengthening, MBT, etc.) Go back and watch those videos in the curriculum.

I also highly recommend the individual question-type webinars. They're up for your viewing, and it helped me a TON to get the perspective of others and listen to them answering real questions.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @BruiserWoods What she said! Start going through the problem sets in the curriculum. You would probably benefit from the medium and hard problem sets.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma
    Yeah, LR covers a lot of skills, so honing in on your issues a bit more specifically would be productive.

I'd suspect you would benefit from further mastery of conditional reasoning. Any lacking on that is going to cost you points and, potentially worse, time.

Once you've mastered the fundamentals, you've also got to develop an effective section strategy. This includes skipping strategy, pacing goals, standardized notations, and identifying when you can choose an answer without reading every answer choice.

There is also a lot of potential for panic and rushing. Try some untimed sections. Keep yourself moving, just don't cut yourself off at 35 minutes. Try to find your natural pace to see how far off your timing is. Keep time with a stopwatch instead of a timer. This should help you learn to pace yourself and to remove that sense of panic and rush.
  • parretteparrette Alum Member
    90 karma
    Awesome, thanks so much for all the advice!