PT16.S3.Q08 - reasonable people adapt themselves to the world;

SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
edited July 2016 in Logical Reasoning 1278 karma
"Reasonable people.."

I got this wrong and then tried redoing it in blind review (I drilled this question type in a set of 40 questions). In BR I chose C. My approach to the problem the second time around was to diagram this:

RP --> ASW (first sentence)
RP --> AWS (second sentence)
---------------------------------------------------------
P --> RP (conclusion)

So I went into this thinking I needed to link progress and unreasonable people.

What confused me was the last sentence, which I assumed was the conclusion. I was not sure if progress or unreasonable people was the necessary condition. Then I thought if I substituted "depends on" with "requires" it would make unreasonable people the necessary condition, still I was not confidant my approach was correct.

I think A is irrelevant and D is wrong because we are not concerned with the subset that are unable to bring progress. Can someone help me understand why the others are wrong and why B is correct? Is my reasoning/approach to this question wrong?

Please help!!!

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2016 3545 karma
    Man, this is a gnarly MBT question. Typically, MBT questions want us to link conditional statements. I don't think this is true here. The only sentence that matters in this stimulus is the conclusion: progress > /reason.

Answer choice (B) is its contrapositive: reason -> /progress.

I think this question is tricky because you have all these conditional statements so you get excited about linking them up. In this case, I think that's meant to be a time suck. Only one conditional matters (the last one) and everything else is noise.