Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditional LG rule with subset features

SkywalkerSkywalker Alum Member
edited July 2016 in General 214 karma
Dear All,

I am getting confused on what the contrapositive is for conditional rules in LG that have a subset feature.

For example, if you a grouping game, and there are 3 groups (A, B, C) and the rule states, if P is not in A, then H is not in A. What is the contrapositive of that?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    The rule is saying that the absence of P in group a implies the absence of H in group a. Contrapositive of this is H(subscript a)------>P(subscript a). What this means in plain English (and the way I tell myself when I am reading) is that if H is in group a then there better be a P in group a. P in group a is the necessary condition for H in group a. So if you have a scenario in which H ends up in group a and P ends up in group c, you have violated this condition. If you have a scenario where P is in group a, H can either go into a or go somewhere else (assuming no other rules restrict H's whereabouts.)

Hope this helps.
  • SkywalkerSkywalker Alum Member
    214 karma
    Thank you!!!!
    edited July 2016 8689 karma
    Because I like your username so much, I drew this out for you a bit more visually. :)

Fixing link to picture*
    edited July 2016 8689 karma
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Fixed your link, David! You can't link images directly from your computer, they need to be uploaded to an image hosting site.