Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you read?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
edited July 2016 in General 54 karma
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I'm not quite sure what your question is asking. Can you clarify what you mean when you say "you imagine yourself talking to the author?"

The closest thing that I can think of is I read the stimulus with as critical of a voice as possible and "my voice" appears when I start asking all these questions about the claim in question: "why do we believe this is the conclusion?" "how are you trying to substantiate your point?" etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    edited July 2016 54 karma
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    I find reading the passage as if you're so interested and it's the most amazing thing you've read to help many including myself.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Yay! That's always exciting :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    That's what's up :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma
    Yeah, I definitely read in my own voice. It takes less time because I'm not having to create a new one for the author. Plus, "hearing" it in my own voice helps to really internalize the passage.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Wait a minute... Are you saying you do third person sub-vocalization on the reg? This is like finding out about those people who can't visualize things in their mind's eye!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    One of the funniest LSAT things I read on twitter was a gal who said she read everything in Trumps voice, so she would questions everything she read...
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    This is a pretty interesting concept. I guess if I had to actually describe my reading, it's efficient and deliberate. I make sure that in my read I read at a steady (not "fast", but efficient) pace, making sure to "touch" each word. You definitely don't want to skim over details!

I'm sure I'm not the only one guilty of this, but sometimes (especially when eliminating answer choices), I hear JY reading and just trashing wrong answers. *So What?!* *Who cares??* etc
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    I hear JY reading and just trashing wrong answers. *So What?!* *Who cares??* etc
    Yep!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27866 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    I hear JY
    Totally! It's like Obi-wan is in my head telling me to use the force!
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Interesting. I have never thought of this. I think next few times I read I will hear this post in my head lol
  • sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma
    Actually - am I the only one who hears JY's voice?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    For RC I think I read as if someone has handed me the passage and asked me to tell them what it's about. So, I read the first paragraph, then summarize it in my head "so, here they're saying this and that". Second paragraph then summarize "and this is why they think that's the case", and so on. I also emphasize in my head and underline on paper things like "but", "however", "first", "therefore" and so on.