Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accommodations for LSAT

Matthew524Matthew524 Member
edited July 2016 in General 651 karma
So I'm in a bit of a situation, I have taken the LSAT in June and I was approved for accommodations for that exam. I registered to take the LSAT again in September and I was approved again for accommodations the same accommodations that were given in June. But I had a recent check up with my neurologist and my condition has gotten progressively worse than before and he wrote me a letter for my University about my disability telling them I need many more accommodations to guarantee my safety as well as fairness when I go back to school. He also wrote me a letter for the LSAC to add more accommodations including supervised bathroom break. I have a history of seizures and when I have a seizure I fall down and usually hit my head ( I had a seizure during my June LSAT when I used the bathroom but I sucked it up and went on taking the exam). I was wondering how can I make the changes necessary to guarantee a fair testing environment for myself given my unfortunate condition? Thank you!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524

Hey, sorry to hear about you conditions. It doesn't sound very fun, especially as extra stress to worry about when taking an exam!

Below is the email of who you will want to reach out to whom you'll explain your situation. Being that you already have had accommodations in the past, but need them altered, I think you will be fine.

accom@LSAC.org

Here is the link the LSAC page with all the other testing accommodations info.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing/

Good luck :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Paging @BruiserWoods

Before she answers you though I have to say that those who take the LSAT with accommodations are some pretty tough people and I applaud you all. It's so easy to just give up and skip out on our dreams once an obstacle is put in front of it. You guys are determined and are people I look up to. Thank you for sharing your story and I wish you guys the best <3
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @montaha.rizeq @"Alex Divine" , I tried contacting the LSAT accommodations department and the lady who answered told me she didn't know how to handle the situation and I should email accom@lsac.org but that's an unmonitored email account that only sends automated outgoing emails. I'm so confused and worried!
    651 karma
    @montaha.rizeq i greatly appreciate your comment. It has always been a dream of mine to become a lawyer ever since I was a kid and I honestly won't let anything stop me regardless of the situation. Always gotta keep our heads up and marching forward!
    651 karma
    I also might be getting a seizure alert dog, so I don't know how the LSAC would feel about having a dog in the room with me. I know I am protected under the law ( ADA of 1990). I was informed by this by my doctor because he has seen individuals who faced discrimination because of their conditions.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524 Ahhh man, sorry to hear they are making you really jump through hoops for this. I was worried that email--like all their others--would be an automated response. As @montaha.rizeq said, @BruiserWoods may be able to help as I think she has experience helping others with this type of thing. And like Montaha said, it is really inspiring and awesome that you are not letting anything stop you from accomplishing your dreams! That is beyond awesome :) Your determination makes me want to try that much harder to reach my dreams as well. So thank YOU for that :)

Don't be confused or worried either, because one way or another we will figure this out. WORST case scenario you might have to mail them your information and doctors notes in a letter... I had a friend who needed accommodations a couple years back. And I believe that is what he ended up doing. It all gets resolved in the end :)
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    My advice is to reapply for accommodations. Submit all the information as if you hadn't already submitted it for this test.

It is still an accommodation request and will still be reviewed as such. On your "candidate statement" just fill out exactly what you said here. That your condition has progressed and you now require additional or modified accommodations.

Also get your doctor to reference the tests and (if possible) include the test result or a summary of some sort that quantifies your worsening condition.

Good luck. I'm sorry this is going on <3 solidarity
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2016 1706 karma
    Edit* I'm a badass. But I'm not "have-a-seizure-during-the-LSAT-and-keep-fckn-going" bad. You're amazing
    651 karma
    @BruiserWoods its not necessarily a test that shows it got worse, it's the fact that my seizures have been increasing. I usually would have 1-2 a week now it's upwards of ten.
    651 karma
    @BruiserWoods if I want to delay my LSAT but I was already approved for accommodations, how would I go about doing that?