Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is my Comparative Passage strategy?

ThePaperChaseThePaperChase Free Trial Member
I first read Passage A, and because I'm a nervous impulsive person, I go straight to the questions that refer only to passage A and do those, and then skim through the questions that refer to both A and B (i.e. "Which of these would both the authors from A and B agree with?") and eliminate a good 2-3 answer choices for each of the questions like that. I do this because I fear that I'll forget what I read in A after I finish with B (or worse, misinterpret A wrong and see it through a different lens after because of what I've read in B.)

This strategy doesn't seem terrible, since I still do ~okay~ on the passages, but it also probably takes up more time because I'm re-reading questions? I wanna know if anyone else has tips / good strategy for Comparative Passages. I'm still trying out my strategy, but if it's deemed inefficient or unnecessary, I'm still in the early stages so I'll be ready to change/modify to a different strategy.

Thanks, community!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I've never read someone trying this strategy before, it seems that so many of the questions apply to both passages that you more than likely are losing time, but If you're able to finish the passage in reasonable time and a section on time or early, then maybe it works for you?

Its hard to give feedback on something I've never tried. I usually try to read comparative passages together, trying to pick up themes and the comparisons in both determining if they are complementary or opposing.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Actually, that’s exactly what I do and exactly the reasons I do it. The whole purpose of the CR passage is to try and get you to confuse the information. Doing this drastically reduces the chances of that. Since most of the questions are designed around these traps, you can make up a lot of lost time by effectively removing that element. When I’m going through the questions the second time after reading B and they ask what do both passages talk about, I’ve already eliminated everything A didn’t talk about with 100% confidence. It’s almost impossible to mess that up at that point, and it’s really difficult to not know the right answer immediately. I do think it’s important to try to really fly through them the first time. You’re having to work with way less information than a normal passage, so you’ve really got to be able to compensate with some speed there. Overall, I think it’s a good strategy. You do have to practice it to where you can execute quickly though. If it becomes a time sink it becomes a liability.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Hmm that is interesting @haeeunjee. I think @stepharizona is right in that so many questions seem to apply to both passages that you may end up losing time. However, I've never tried it so I can't definitely say one way or the other.

As far as my strategy for comparative reading comp, I basically do them like any other reading comp using the memory method. I find for the comparative passages my mind tries to anticipate what about the differences and similarities they'll ask about. After you've done enough of them it gets easier with any passage to anticipate the kind of questions they'll ask.

Do you use the memory method that 7Sage teaches? It literally improved my RC score by 4 or 5 points. It takes a while to get used to, but I promise you it is so worth it. I save so much time not re-reading or annotating anything.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    For comparative passages, and ONLY for those, I actually quickly skim over the questions first and pick out the ones that mention a single passage. I write a big A or B next to the question to know which passage it belongs to. I also make a note of the questions of the type "passage A mentions this but B doesn't" or viceversa.
    I answer the "single passage" questions right after reading the corresponding passage.
    For the "A mentions B doesn't" I cross off the ones A doesn't mention as soon as I read A, and work through the remainder after I finish B.
    I then answer the questions that refer to both passages (main idea of both, Passage A is more what than passage B, the two authors would disagree about which of the following, and so on).
    I guess that's pretty similar to @"Cant Get Right" 's strategy.
    It helps answer the "nitty-gritty" questions while the relevant passage is fresh in your mind, so you can then concentrate on the more general comparative questions without being afraid of forgetting some details.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    I was just about to post about this. I've tried both the regular and "A" first strategies for comparative passages and still haven't been able to find my groove. I'm pretty good at regular reading comp, but feel like I can't practice comparative passages since they're all on used or pristine PTs. Have you all practiced comp passages in any way other than PTs?
    1137 karma
    ?? :)
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Hmmm interesting approaches. I might give them a try this week.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    Just the PTs for me @bjphillips5 . They are kind of a limited resource, but I haven’t been able to think of a way to replicate the experience in a different context.
    1137 karma