Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Writing Sample

TheLSATTheLSAT Member
in General 301 karma
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could kindly provide me with an answer to the following: Are we afforded 35 minutes on the writing sample during the LSAT? Thanks to all of those who will answer.

Comments

• Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    You are given 35 minutes
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    35 minute nap time. Only kidding.
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    What everyone else said. Keep in mind that while the writing sample doesn't affect your score, admissions people can see it if they want. Don't get anxious about writing it, but do put something coherent together
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" said:
    What everyone else said. Keep in mind that while the writing sample doesn't affect your score, admissions people can see it if they want. Don't get anxious about writing it, but do put something coherent together
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    The writing sample is as irrelevant as the "t" in "tsunami" to your application. Obviously don't completely disregard it - write something that looks like you put some thought and effort into it. And while I highly doubt adcomms even look at the writing sample, they do understand that this was written after a 3 hour long grueling exam if anything so no worries.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I've heard that adcomms sometimes will look at the writing sample when deciding between two applicants.

That said, at the end of the day your score is the most important thing. I plan on practicing the writing sample in a simulated test at least 2 or 3 times before the real deal!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I actually wish the writing sample were taken more seriously. In theory, it’s a great way to add an objective element to a more subjective measure. If you know what to read for, so much can be told about someone from a writing sample. They have our highly polished PSs of course, but the writing sample comes from a drastically different and really interesting environment. I guarantee there are solid predictors to be found within the writing sample, and it could be a really useful tool if they'd actually read them.

As a writer, I think the main challenge for me is having to restructure sentences on the fly in order to write around words I want to use but can’t spell, haha.
  • AurBorealAurBoreal Member
    74 karma
    is the writing sample at the very end - or during the test?
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @CUNY_2017 Its at the very end of the exam, it will be after your 5 multiple choice sections.